Pheonix Thread

This boy is just shy of 6 months old. Criticism welcome!
1C1473A2-BD4F-4BE9-90E9-0EF1E091481B.jpeg
EBA49FF5-D016-4146-A55C-1D4C0E244FAF.jpeg
D8496813-A69F-4329-BE5E-26B4058EB496.jpeg

I do see some willow legs. I try to avoid it when I can, but sometimes they have the best feather growth.
Sad news as our two Pheonix have been taken. Of course it was our first nice day so we decided to let all the birds free range while they were all together due to renovations and the phoenixes went way farther away than the others and got taken. We still have a few eggs to try and but they were her first few. I will try to get in contact with the breeder we got them from before.

I do see some willow legs. I try to avoid it when I can, but sometimes they have the best feather growth.
Some of my silver gingers also have willow legs, and I don't breed it out because I have heard that too. This upcoming year I want to separate a rooster or two from them and see how long I can get their tails to grow. Aubrey (the breeder I got them from) said they have non molting lines bred into them, so fingers crossed!

I consider him red splash, that’s the best I can come up with. He was part of an accidental broody hatch from my retired golden splash rooster, and any one of my ‘extra’ hens in a non breeding coop. I’ve hatched many chicks from his dad over the last few years, nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps a leaky blue with autosomal red produced red in the breast. Idk. Dad does have willow legs but I’ve never seen any quite so yellow. His saddles and tail are not great, but he is a product of culls.

The only possibility of a cross would be Orloff, which seems likely based on color, however it would take both parents to be mottled, and I never have breeding age Orloffs in that coop anyway.

He’s a pretty mishap tho!
I could see him being red splash, splash is tricky sometimes because in some cases it can look like mottling/exchequer if it doesn't have any tones of blue in it

Sad news as our two Pheonix have been taken. Of course it was our first nice day so we decided to let all the birds free range while they were all together due to renovations and the phoenixes went way farther away than the others and got taken. We still have a few eggs to try and but they were her first few. I will try to get in contact with the breeder we got them from before.
Oh no, I’m really sorry to hear that!

Some of my silver gingers also have willow legs, and I don't breed it out because I have heard that too. This upcoming year I want to separate a rooster or two from them and see how long I can get their tails to grow. Aubrey (the breeder I got them from) said they have non molting lines bred into them, so fingers crossed!
I have some birds from Aubrey as well, where some of my willow legs came from, but I’m hoping those may carry the nm gene so I do keep some from that line. Some I breed toward standard and people really do frown on the off color legs. My biggest problem is keeping them separated long enough to determine if non molting. It gets hard at times to have the available space. I currently only have two separated, just over a year old so we have quite a way to go lol.

That truly sucks :( Do you know what took them?

Back
Top Bottom