Pheonix Thread

What color is he?
Well his blue would normally be black... so he had a blue gene... I think red blue breasted? Unfortunately he is the one that took on a hawk! So upset about loosing him.
0BA8710A-9C85-4CE8-A1F3-6AE714C9B766.jpeg

Man, that sucks. Suddenly a too friendly dog doesn't seem the worst thing to deal with.

I lost almost all of my pullets from a September hatch unfortunately. I have one "blondie", one white and one roany-reddish-brown left out of about a dozen. One had to be put down after losing a foot to frost bite and the others we think poisoned themselves on something in a neighbor's pasture.

The roany-reddish-brown might be going broody though soon and I have 2 others brooding currently. One really sucks at it though. She chose a car kennel and always is accidentally rolling eggs out to the floor and apparently hadn't turned them once so the yolks Are all sticking to one side.

Yikes, you might want to try machine incubation or slipping her eggs under another hen? What sucks is I went from having too many roosters to none... and I have three hens who want babies. On the bright side they will make great mums when we have appropriate boy friends for them.

LauraVon, sorry to hear about the loss of your birds. I don't understand why people think "oh its just a chicken". When my daughters pit bull got out and attacked and killed one of my best hens, she was like "it's just a chicken". What she failed to realized is that I put forth the effort to hatch, raise, and otherwise care for this animal every day of it's life. Make sure it had food, water, and shelter, free range time. I guess folks who are not chicken people are missing out on the blessings that we see in these animals. I wish you success in your future and send us some pics of your new runs and chicks.

Yikes, you might want to try machine incubation or slipping her eggs under another hen? What sucks is I went from having too many roosters to none... and I have three hens who want babies. On the bright side they will make great mums when we have appropriate boy friends for them.
My current incubator has temperature problems and my other hen is in an unreachable space for humans. This hen is literally the only hope these eggs have unfortunately. It's weird though Because she's usually one of my best broodies. She's raised almost all if my hens I have

I'm sorry to hear everyone has been having a bad past year with their birds. I can't believe people are getting desperate enough to steal roosters from people's backyeards.

Thankfully mine are doing pretty good, I lost a pullet due to egg binding and my silver ginger breeder cock from 2019 unfortunately, but that's about it. Aside from that mine are doing good and I've just been busy hatching out chicks this spring using my incubator and broody hens. I'll have to post some pictures!

My current incubator has temperature problems and my other hen is in an unreachable space for humans. This hen is literally the only hope these eggs have unfortunately. It's weird though Because she's usually one of my best broodies. She's raised almost all if my hens I have
Oh man that sucks. Maybe she is trying to set too many? Like my girls picked a spot to lay as a group for a bit with only one trying to be broody in that spot, even if the eggs were fertile (which they are not) there is no way the horde of eggs would hatch.

We are building pens with goal of controlling which birds are bred so we can collect the eggs that should be fertile easier... I am tearing down the old big coop this weekend, prepping the area for brick or pavers to go down for the whole area, and tearing down old fencing... remeasuring to figure out how much more stuff I will need. We have a bunch of stuff purchased already... but I need to pick up the pavers, weed blocker stuff to go under the pavers, good wire fencing I can put under the edges of the outside pavers and then run up and connect to the big metal fencing we are going to be using, then reed fencing to act as a visual screen (need to hide the coops by making the whole area they will be going in look like part of a big vegetable garden... so people drive by and think boring vegetables, herb shrubs, and flowers instead of thinking chickens) then we can start constructing the solid metal individual pens and houses, each coop is getting a serious lock... we are getting raided because we no longer have a big dog randomly patrolling the yard. One year we came home to find most of our sunflowers gone we had grown... neighbor said she looked out her window and a man was loading up his car with our flowers... she set her Rottweiler on him and was able to save a few of our plants. Some people suck.

Anyway we put orders in for some basic hatchery stock of certain breeds, will be checking out local feed store for a few breeds those folks always carry... and will be getting set up to incubate hatching eggs again... We are all really upset about the stolen and killed birds so we will be doing our best to protect the birds we have and the new birds.

I just found this thread after suddenly thinking that my "roadrunner" aka "some kind of easter egger" is probably a silver Phoenix.

He hatched 3/8/22 from Ideal poultry. These pictures were taken at age 10 weeks and 10.5 weeks.

Is he?

Attachments

• IMG_1144.JPEG
    IMG_1144.JPEG
    831.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1145.JPEG
    IMG_1145.JPEG
    846.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1122.JPEG
    IMG_1122.JPEG
    534.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1123.JPEG