phesants and or partridge we can make money from?

animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
is there any that would be able to sell easy in northern cali? I am tired of buying birds and then losing hundreds of dollars on them and never being able to re sell!
sad.png

I think 90% of the people here DO NOT make money off their birds! I am seeing alot of birds for sale right now here in Northern Ca, having trouble myself getting a few extras sold off. I'm DEFINATELY not making money, but I do usually get at least what I have into the bird back. I raise for fun and eggs, and I try not to have more than I can keep if I cant sell.

You could try the Denio's Auction in Roseville, I know alot of people are taking their extra birds there.

Good luck!

I'm always looking for hatching eggs in game birds.. I'm looking for breeds I don't have along with get new lines of the ones I do have also...

I had to get rid of my birds when I moved 4 years ago, but before then.. I didn't sell many birds at start. I started donating birds for youth functions in the surrounding counties and before I knew it, I couldn't keep up with the orders comming in.. Now I'm starting over in hopes of doing the same thing!

Last edited:
I'm in the midwest so the market may be different where you are but I just look at our birds as a hobby that pays for itself. When we first started my husband was rolling all these numbers around in his head planning on how much money we could make. I pointed out to him that there was a lot more cost involved than just the feed (electricity for incubators/brooders, maintenance on pens & equipment, gas to haul the animals to sales, etc.) to say nothing of the time to care for them. He also soon realized it is not a big moneymaker. I enjoy watching the animals and the socialization with others at sales and it's something for my husband and I to do together. We usually end up slightly ahead moneywise if there is no major catastrophe of any kind and I'm happy with that.

Here in North Carolina it's hard just to sell them. You have to have a game bird permit from the state, we have had lots of people want to buy some but when I tell them you have to have a permit that's usually it. It's $10 a year for the permit so it's not like it will kill you. Don't get me wrong I have been known to fracture a law here and there
smile.png
but not game laws. The courts take a dim view of that here. What little we do sell probably pays for 1/2 of the feed I would guess. If you figure in the price of dressed quail and pheasant then we would turn a profit.

Steve

Quote:
Every saturday and sunday, rain or shine. Denios is also a HUGE farmers market and swapmeet,over 7 acres of stuff. $3 for parking and your in. There is a website, google Denios in roseville and you'll see it. I love that place!!

Back
Top Bottom