PHILIPPINES BYC GROUP

Mercilless

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
To all FILIPINO BYC members your welcome to have a chit chat to this thread.

To all FOREIGN BYC members your also very much welcome to this thread.

Purpose:

1. To make friends

2. To share knowledge in starting/raising of BYC as a poultry, pet and other purposes

3. To help each other in their problems on their chickens

4. Other topic not related in BYC is also welcome

No flames and lets make this thread useful to all the members

by GOD grace may we all become successful in raising our chickens.

Last edited:
Hey Y'all'

Two bits of news. #1 - My lovely wife introduced the tradition of the "Easter Egg Hunt" to the neighborhood Sunday. I have not laughed so much in a long time. It a long time to explain to the little ones that they are to pick up the plastic eggs and put them in a bag. It was even harder to get them to give up the eggs after finding them. Once they realized they got one piso for each egg they found them it was hard to get them to stay back when the next group had their turn. There were originally 4 age groups but, that got change at the end. Because the mothers were enjoying it so much they wanted to look for eggs. After the little ones each group had a jackpot egg that was from 100 pisos to 150 pisos for the mothers. It was absolutely fantastic to see the amount of fun everyone had, especially a girl in the teen group. With the jackpot egg and the other eggs she found she had 250 pisos. She was in heaven. And everyone is asking are we going to do the egg find next year.

#2 - after fighting COPD for some time now we have finished the chicken pen except for building the nest boxes. below are some pics taken just a few days prior to the final work. I can feel the chickens getting closer.

Two of the pics are of my temporary garden. The big plants are American squash. The small plants are tomatoes that will grow tomatoes that will weigh over 1/2 kilo.

musta kau! dami natin...hehehe

ngayon, sa akin lang, meron ako:
Trio of Kabirs (hindi breed, genetically enginered sila mula sa Israel kaya hybrid)
2 Texas Hens (Sweater Hatch)
3 Kabir-Basilan cross hens (umiitlog ng peach na kulay na itlog)
2 Modern Phil. Natives,
9 pullet/cockerel mixed
=19 lahat

konti lang kaC binibinta ko sila pag-umabot na ng tamang timbang.

Here are some ways to reduce feed costs developed in the Phils by pinoys

FEED FOR CHICKEN
1. Watermelon rind
Researchers at UP Los Baños fed watermelon rind to chickens for 6 months. These were compared to chicken given ordinary commercial feed. They observed that commercial feeds can be replaced with watermelon rind up to 20%.
Method:
a. Boil the rind until cooked.
b. Dry in the sun.
c. Grind and mix with ordinary feed.
Source: Phil. Farmers Journal Nov 1981
2. Sunflower Seeds
Researchers in India tried feeding 18% up to 26% protein (from the resulting cakes after oil has been extracted from the sunflower seeds) to growing chickens aging up to 70 days. These grew faster and consumed more feeds than those not given sunflower cakes. They also observed that feeding the chickens with seed coats did not cause any harm.
Source: Phil. Farmers Journal March 1981
3. Tobacco Seeds
In places where tobacco is widely planted, farmers know that every plant can yield about 30 grams. To save on feeds, researchers tried replacing 20% of the feeds with tobacco seeds. Nothing adverse was observed in the chicken, neither in taste nor in shape.
Tobacco seeds contain: 20% protein (38% if newly harvested), 15% crude fiber and 4% carbohydrates.
Source: PCARRD Monitor June 1989
4. Banana Leaves
According to researchers in Southern Mindanao Agricultural Research in Kabacan, North Cotabato, broilers fed with 5% chopped banana leaves gained weight almost 1-1/2 kilos more than those fed with commercial starter mash ration or with 10% added banana leaves.
Source: Phil. Farmers Journal June 1982
5. Banana Peels
Method:
a. Chop fine raw saba peels.
b. Boil for one hour, drain and cool.
c. For every kilo of dried banana peel, add:
150 gms dried chicken manure
100 gms rice bran (darak)
d. Mix well and dry in the sun.
e. Pulverize further up to about 1 mm sieve
This can be mixed up to 15% commercial broiler starter mash and finisher mash.
Example: 850 gm commercial mash
150 gm banana peel and added mixture
1 kilo
For broiler feed, ration diet is starter mash from day 1 to day 42, and finisher mash from 42-49 days.
Chickens fed 25% with this in 56 days made no difference in weight with those fed with 100% corn.
Source: Completed R&D Projects (ISN 297) STII-DOST
6. Rabbit Manure
According to British Poultry Science Report (1981), for every kilo of broiler feed, 100-200 gm dried rabbit manure can be added. Dried rabbit manure according to their research, contains 18.8% raw protein, 9% water, and 19.9% MJ energy in every kilo.
7. Seaweeds
Two kinds of brown algae can be mixed with the chicken feed in the following way:
a) dry algae in the sun until dry
b) pulverize and add to the feed at 5% amount.
Every kilo of algae is 20 gms powder that contains:
8.76% raw protein
7.76% raw fiber
36.67% ash and
46.26% free nitrogen extract
Every kilo of this contains 2,452 calories.
Source: Technological Information Pilot System AgriBo 62/1 May 25, 1989 Mexico
8. Water Lily
According to UPLB Researchers, water lily is rich in protein making it suitable as feed for chicken.
Procedure:
1. Pulverize (grind) water lily leaves
2. Mix the greenish paste-like substance with water and stir well to dissolve protein.
3. Screen the mixture to separate fibers.
4. Heat the liquid to 80oC to coagulate protein components, dry and pulverize.
The result is the water hyacinth leaf protein concentrate (WHLPC) which is an excellent substitute to ¼ soybean meals as feed for chicks aged 1-40 days-old. WHLPC is also rich in calcium and potassium and contains 35% raw protein with 11% roughage. WLHPC, although do not necessarily aid in growing chicks, it lessens the cost of feeding. It also lessens the risks of flooding due to clogging of waterlines as well as oxygen depletion in water bodies.
Source: Phil. Farmers Journal, August 1980

Hi guys, anyone have a knowledge on the recipe of hubbard, kabir, and sasso conpanies?

About their chickens use for table? Not the layer one. Thanks

Good morning to all,

I just started breeding and I would like to ask your inputs.I have 2 enclosures(small and big);

Small breeding pen (6ftx12ftx8ft) this pen contains 2 Parawakan hen, 1 Basilan/Jolo/Asil hen and a Basilan rooster.. currently only the Basilan hen is producing eggs because i think the 2 other hens are not mature enuf yet... Big Enclosure has 9 laying Native hens and my only breeding rooster...

Current situation I'm facing: I just borrowed the Basilan rooster and will be returning it soon, I would like to breed him with my available Native hens..

What should I do: Should I?

Transfer the Basilan/Asil rooster to the bigger pen or Transfer the native hens to the small pen together with the other hens?

Small:

Big:

Thank You!
Gary

mas maganda bro sa small pen mo ilagay kasi breeding purpose nman at pra rin mas madali mka breed yong basilan/asil rooster kasi pag nilagay mo sa malaking area mas malayo yong mga hen sa rooster maninibago din yong mga native hen mo paglagay mo ng roo at tatakbo cla kaya mas maganda sa small pen pra abot ng roo mo lagyan mo din ng madaming nestbox pra ma encourage mo yong mga hen na mangitlog pwede mo rin lagyan ng ping-pong o golf ball epektibo pra sakin nangitlog agad yong mga bantam ko paglagay ko,.

home made yogurt is made of boiled rice. IMO or Indegenious Micro Organisms. not sure of the ingredients.

or

in the philippines, you can use yakult in drinking water.

use 1/2 bottle of yakult per 1 gallon water drinker good for 10- 20 chicks per day. use this as their 1st drink after hatching. alternate with electrogen d+ as electrolyte drink for 1 month. dont mix with medications or vitamins. doing this will increase their feed efficiency but depends on the breed. you'll see awesome results.

probiotics is better than antibiotics. if you start with antibiotics, it will kill the good bacteria in the birds' gut. when a bird gets down with illness the antibiotic will not work bec. you made the virus to get "immune" to the antibiotic. lets say that you treated a bird and it went well, have the bird on probiotics for 2 days then move on to electrolytes and clean water going forward.

Back
Top Bottom