Phoenix vs Sumatra vs Yokohama questions

NagemTX

Dragon Chicken
Premium Feather Member
Apr 14, 2022
Angleton TX
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, just getting started again after 30yrs. I love the long tailed breeds and have questions about the differences between Phoenix, Yokohama and Sumatra. When researching I have not found a lot of info that compares these 3 in regards to temperament. Also all three seam to be poor producers of eggs, is it possible to improve this? On temperament active is great as I will be free ranging during the day and they should be more alert birds but I would like be decent if they are handled every day. I also want to set up for a project later that would include the breeds I'm looking at getting. (Argh just having a really hard time chooseing a long tail breed to add to the flock I'm starting.)

Other breeds that will be in the flock are Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, Blue or Silver Ameraucana and Blue Andalusian.

Help, chicken decisions are hard!

When researching I have not found a lot of info that compares these 3 in regards to temperament.
I haven't been able to find much either.
Temperament may vary depending on where you get them from.

Personal anecdote:
I once had Yokohamas from McMurray and Sumatras from Cackle. The Yokohamas taught themselves to fly up to a person's hand for treats, and the Sumatras were more aloof. Later, the Yokohamas flew out of various pens and got eaten by predators, while the Sumatras stayed safely inside. But when they were tiny babies together, the Sumatras explored the whole brooder while the Yokohamas huddled in a warm corner, so age apparently changed how adventurous each breed was.

I have no idea whether my experience was typical or not.

Also all three seam to be poor producers of eggs, is it possible to improve this?
It should be possible to breed for increased egg production, but it would probably take many generations (and years) to make much difference.

You would could hatch eggs from the hens that lay best, and then from the best of their offspring, and so forth.

Or you could cross in a breed that lays well, and then interbreed the offspring to select for both egg production and the correct breed traits. Getting the other traits right while keeping the increased egg production might be difficult.

Hybrid vigor sometimes increases egg production. You might try buying the same breed from different sources, then crossing them. Or if you love longtails, but are not fussy about the exact breed, you might try crossing different longtail breeds to each other.

For any of those ideas, be prepared to eat or rehome a lot of cull chickens (keep the best for breeding, but you have to do something with all of the other ones.)

On temperament active is great as I will be free ranging during the day and they should be more alert birds but I would like be decent if they are handled every day.
I've noticed that some chickens are calm when I handle them, and some freak out. I don't remember my Yokohamas or Sumatras freaking out, but of course other ones may be different. I tend not to handle chickens very often, so I would expect them to be fine if you do it every day.

I also want to set up for a project later that would include the breeds I'm looking at getting. (Argh just having a really hard time chooseing a long tail breed to add to the flock I'm starting.)
There are many ways to choose a breed.
Here are two I've used:
--choose the one that is easiest to get (available from the right hatchery on the right date)
--buy one of each, keep my favorite, and make a tasty chicken soup with the others

My pheonixes and sumatras laid decently. Never was able to get Yokohama thanks to rotten luck.

My sumatras are definitely not cuddly birds. 3 of my 3 females have been human aggressive and both males are very against being around other males. The pheonixes are okay around males so long as the newcomers stay away and don't run

I haven't been able to find much either.
Temperament may vary depending on where you get them from.

Personal anecdote:
I once had Yokohamas from McMurray and Sumatras from Cackle. The Yokohamas taught themselves to fly up to a person's hand for treats, and the Sumatras were more aloof. Later, the Yokohamas flew out of various pens and got eaten by predators, while the Sumatras stayed safely inside. But when they were tiny babies together, the Sumatras explored the whole brooder while the Yokohamas huddled in a warm corner, so age apparently changed how adventurous each breed was.

I have no idea whether my experience was typical or not.

It should be possible to breed for increased egg production, but it would probably take many generations (and years) to make much difference.

You would could hatch eggs from the hens that lay best, and then from the best of their offspring, and so forth.

Or you could cross in a breed that lays well, and then interbreed the offspring to select for both egg production and the correct breed traits. Getting the other traits right while keeping the increased egg production might be difficult.

Hybrid vigor sometimes increases egg production. You might try buying the same breed from different sources, then crossing them. Or if you love longtails, but are not fussy about the exact breed, you might try crossing different longtail breeds to each other.

For any of those ideas, be prepared to eat or rehome a lot of cull chickens (keep the best for breeding, but you have to do something with all of the other ones.)

I've noticed that some chickens are calm when I handle them, and some freak out. I don't remember my Yokohamas or Sumatras freaking out, but of course other ones may be different. I tend not to handle chickens very often, so I would expect them to be fine if you do it every day.

There are many ways to choose a breed.
Here are two I've used:
--choose the one that is easiest to get (available from the right hatchery on the right date)
--buy one of each, keep my favorite, and make a tasty chicken soup with the others
Looks like it might be best to get a few of each of the long tail breeds and see how they turn out for me. Once that is done I'll stick with the ones that are consistent with what I want from them.

Back
Top Bottom