Photo of last hatch

OmaBird

Songster
9 Years
May 10, 2010
CA High Desert
These are the poults that I hatched from eggs I took from a turkey hen sitting in my dry pond. There was 26 eggs under her. Three hatched out earlier than the other 19. Two eggs developed fully but never hatched. Not sure what happend with the other two. I found the eggs about 10 days before the first one hatched. It is a very colorful hatch.

57076_goats_and_chickens_011.jpg

Oma, Congrats on the hatch! How many different types of turkeys do you have? What are the dark poults? Are they the same as the ones that are a week older? They are such a colorful bunch!

Quote:
That pretty little dark poult you see in the second photo looks to me like a rusty black. I can show you a older one if you have not seen the rusty blacks before. Thats the name they are using on the Yahoo Turkey Genetics board. The other dark one is just a plan black. Not sure how many different colors I own but I think I have most if not all of the colors you see on the web. I can't think of a color I don't have except maybe a Nebraskan Turkey.

The three that hatched first where bronze one did carry a red gene but my guess not from the hen that was sitting. My guess is another hen was sitting near her. When it snowed (we had a big storm) the other hen left and she took the eggs. I have no other way to explain how it happened. I walk my dogs past this area several times a day, and I never seen her there. I was watching a brown palm that walked down into the dry pond, looking for a place to lay her eggs. She was the one that gave her spot away to me.

Oma, I don't have any turkeys currently but am looking forward to some in the future. Right now I'm leaning toward Blue Slates or Narries. I want an older heritage variety and will be sticking with only one. You're blessed to have so many different types! Please post more pics as they grow up.

Quote:
My first heritage turkeys where Black Spanish and Narragansett. They just made me fall in love with turkeys. I like lots of color now. If I was to pick just one of the two breeds you mentioned it would be the Blue Slates. From them you would get Blacks, Blue Slates and Self Blue "aka Lavender. If any of the blue slates as split bronze you would get alot of different colors.

I'm glad to hear you'd recommend the Blue Slates, they're my first choice. I spend alot of time here on the Turkey thread reading and learning. I look forward to more pics and threads of your and others turkey adventures.

Back
Top Bottom