Photography

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HorseFeathers, Aug 30, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Dac, I grew up there also and go back as often as I can (didn't include this summer :mad: ). No place in the world like it as far as I'm concerned.

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Would PotterWatch have anything to do with Potters Flat?

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nope, just Harry Potter. I grew up in Anchorage and my parents now live in Soldotna so that is where we visit.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Wow what a lot of beautiful pictures. Nice. Envirogirl remember what photography is Photo (light) Graphy (writing)

So look for the light, highlights, low lights, softlights, bounced light,

take a picture of a black teddy bear outside at different hours during the day and save these and write down the time of day and season and what the sun was doing. For the first set you could do all sunny day pics and the second set cloudy day pics, mildly cloudy day pics)

do the same with a white teddy bear. (preferably same day)

And the same with a green object.

Save all these and you will have a good base of knowledge right there. Oh yeah and dont forget to write down the settings on your camera too. for each of the pictures. So you will have a scrapbook of pics of a white Teddy bear, black Teddy Bear, and green object at say 6 am Sept 3 settings on camera are.....speed, what mm your at, etc (you fill in the blank). Then at 7am same thing. and so on....all day long.

Another thing you could try is taking pics facing east west north and south from same place in the yard. And save and study.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    You guys are awesome! Thanks!

My uncle is visiting and just ordered a Canon D60 from Amazon. It's awesome (he let me use it for a bit), and he showed me the slightly lesser version (just less pixels), the D40, for only $450 on Amazon. I'll get that as soon as my latest check comes in. It has excellent macro.

These are going to be an impatient few months! *taps fingers on desk*

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG]

tell me about it!!!

I used to take pictures from an old 50 year old film camera that was top of the line when it was first out. But its light meter keeps breaking and I can no longer fix it. I NEED a digital...!!!!!!!!! Cheaper in the long run when you are taking lots and lots of pictures. Its driving me nuts being cameraless, espcially on BYC.

7. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    I like my digital but I miss my 35mm. I have always wanted a better 35mm with lots of lens, and I found where they are clearing out a Canon Rebel K2 SLR with a 28-90mm lens for $130. Boy I am so tempted. I would buy a used Canon Rebel but they want an arm and a leg for them on ebay if they have the lens with them.

Anyone have one of the Canon Rebel K2's that can give me feedback on them. If anyone has one they are selling at a reasonable price I would love to know, please pm me. Thanks

8. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Photograpy is amazing. The only tip I can really give you is to get to know your camera. Play with the settings...and more than anything, ENJOY!

9. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Crowing

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:I agree with ninja. Get down on their level and just keep shooting pictures, I'll take 300+ pictures and only get 20 I like. You can also download an application like Picasa to edit the pictures. Good luck!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are some of my favorites. And I agree the macro button does wonders [​IMG]

10. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    PP I just love the pic with the wing stretched in front of that chick makes ya feel like ya caught her naked LOL. I also like the black and white one of the 2 chicks reminds me of Wilma and Betty sharing gosip over the stone fence LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: