Photos Showing Growth of My Chicks (picture heavy)

RowanTheRed

Songster
5 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Upstate South Carolina
I thought it would be helpful to show photos of my recent round of incubated chicks. I have 14 that are of various breeds so anyone interested can see how they develop and change as the weeks go by. I am hoping that in doing this I (and anyone else) will find it helpful in beginning to recognize looks or traits that might indicate which might turn out to be roos and which might be pullets.

Out of this batch I had purchased some English BBS Orpingtons and some Ameraucanas eggs and added Easter Eggers from my flock or mixed breeds. My 2 roos at the time were a red / gold Easter Egger and a Lavender Ameraucana. My hens are a Silver Laced Cochin, 2 Golden Comets, 2 Light Brown Leghorns and a Splash Orpington. For the chicks that came from my flock I will post photos of the parents as well so you can see how the offspring turned out.

First I am posting the 7 chicks that came from my chooks.

So to start this off here are the 2 roosters I had (I've since sold the red one)
20180502_112120.jpg

20180502_083348.jpg

Here are the moms:
20180117_094843.jpg

20170625_203850.jpg

20180112_063939.jpg

1) Chick # 1 - Silver Laced Cochin mom:
3 weeks old
Piper week 3.jpg

4 weeks old
Piper week 4.jpg

6 weeks old
Piper week 6.jpg

2) Chick # 2 - Splash Orpington mom:

3 weeks old
Dot week 3.jpg

4 weeks:
Dot week 4.jpg

6 weeks:
Dot week 6.jpg

3) chick # 3 - also Splash Orpington mom

3 weeks
Dash week 3.jpg

4 weeks
Dash week 4.jpg

6 weeks
Dash week 6.jpg

4) chick #4 - Golden Comet mom

3 weeks
Layla week 3.jpg

4 weeks
Layla week 4.jpg

6 weeks
Layla week 6.jpg

5) chick # 5 - also has Golden Comet mom

3 weeks
Lola week 3.jpg

4 weeks
Lola week 4.jpg

6 weeks
Lola week 6.jpg

6) chick # 6 - Light Brown Leghorn mom

3 weeks
Roxy 1 week 3.jpg

4 weeks
Roxy 1 week 4.jpg

6 weeks
Roxy 1 week 6.jpg

7) chick # 7 - also Light Brown Leghorn mom

3 weeks
Roxy 2 week 3.jpg

4 weeks
Roxy 2 week 4.jpg

6 weeks
Roxy 2 week 6.jpg

So far I think that chicks 2, 4, 5 and 7 are "looking" and acting like roosters. Chick # 1 also acts just like a rooster, however she doesn't look like one YET

What beautiful birds! Do splash orpington chicks always have a yellow tip on their middle toes? I am not very familiar with that breed but that is very cool none the less

7 for sure is a roo, first thing I thought when I saw pic 2 of him how he stands and his 3rd pic looks to too

Beautiful chickens red roo was a gem looking

I am definitely going to be watching this thread! My Buff Orpington hen just went broody for the second time, and we have a lot more hens to choose eggs from now, so I'm really excited. Your chickens are beauties, by the way :love

7 for sure is a roo, first thing I thought when I saw pic 2 of him how he stands and his 3rd pic looks to too

I thought EXACTLY the same thing. The others didn't really stand out, but when I saw the second pic of the last one, I was like "Oh, looks like she has a roo" lol

here are the next 7, these are from eggs I bought from a local breeder. There are 3 Ameraucanas and 4 English BBS Orpingtons

First the Ameraucana chicks
#1 - 3 weeks
Ameraucana 1 week 3.jpg

4 weeks
Ameraucana 1 week 4.jpg

6 weeks
Ameraucana 1 week 6.jpg

#2 - 3 weeks
Ameraucana 3 week 3.jpg

4 weeks
Ameraucana 3 week 4.jpg

6 weeks
Ameraucana 3 week 6.jpg

#3 - 3 weeks
Ameraucana 4 week 3.jpg

4 weeks
Ameraucana 4 week 4.jpg

6 weeks
Ameraucana 4 week 6.jpg

Now for the BBS Orpingtons

chick # 1 - 3 weeks
EBO 1 week 3.jpg

4 weeks
EBO 1 week 4.jpg

6 weeks
EBO 1 week 6.jpg

chick # 2 - 3 weeks
EBO 2 week 3.jpg

4 weeks
EBO 2 week 4.jpg

6 weeks
EBO 2 week 6.jpg

chick # 3 - 3 weeks
EBO 3 week 3.jpg

4 weeks
EBO 3 week 4.jpg

6 weeks
EBO 3 week 6.jpg

chick # 4 - 3 weeks
EBO 4 week 3.jpg

4 weeks
EBO 4 week 4.jpg

6 weeks
EBO 4 week 6.jpg

I think Ameraucana #1 and 3 are most likely roos. Out of the Orpingtons, I can't really tell for certain, but at least one roo and that would be #4

What beautiful birds! Do splash orpington chicks always have a yellow tip on their middle toes? I am not very familiar with that breed but that is very cool none the less

their mom had pink on the tips of her toes that eventually went away. I am guessing that thier's will eventually go away as well.
here is a photo pf mom as a chick
20170421_182316.jpg

her legs and toes are now fully dark slate grey in color

the red rooster was very beautiful. And he had a very special place in my heart for a very personal reason. However he and I had at least weekly battles of which one of us was ruler of the yard! Sorry to say that I ended up having to sell him. However he is now the only rooster in a yard full of hen where he is being used to breed more EE.

I am definitely going to be watching this thread! My Buff Orpington hen just went broody for the second time, and we have a lot more hens to choose eggs from now, so I'm really excited. Your chickens are beauties, by the way :love

I thought EXACTLY the same thing. The others didn't really stand out, but when I saw the second pic of the last one, I was like "Oh, looks like she has a roo" lol

thanks, they are very pretty indeed. And yes, I am certain that I have at least 50% roosters in the 14!

Back
Top Bottom