Pic of candled egg on day 3...is this normal?

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
All of my eggs look like this one:

519429142_HfzmE-S.jpg

This is my first time incubating, and I'm as interested in seeing how they are developing as I am in getting chicks. These are pullet eggs, so I don't really have that high of hopes for them.

I've been looking online at candling pictures and I really can't see any veins in my eggs at all yet. They all have those dark growing masses. Is something wrong? Or is my flashlight not bright enough? What do you think?

Its pretty hard to tell that early sometimes. Your candle looks bright enough though. Give it a go between 7-10 days and you can easily tell then. Good Luck!

Ok, I can wait a few more days...I was just curious if the big dark spot was bad, since they all have it.

One egg has the air sac on the side of the egg instead of the bottom. Does that mean it won't keep developing or if it does the chick won't be able to hatch?

Quote:
I've read lots of posts about eggs hatching with detatched air-sacs, so it might. I know its hard not to keep candeling, but sometimes its better to leave them be as long as you can resist. There's an old saying,"Curiosity killed the chicken"..., or something like that!
hmm.png

Quote:
I've read lots of posts about eggs hatching with detatched air-sacs, so it might. I know its hard not to keep candeling, but sometimes its better to leave them be as long as you can resist. There's an old saying,"Curiosity killed the chicken"..., or something like that!
hmm.png

lau.gif
I'll keep that in mind.

I'm going to wait until day 7 or 8 before I candle them again. My incubator holds the temps really well even when I open it to turn them, so hopefully it's not disturbing them too much.

The big dark spot is the yolk.
big_smile.png
You can't usually see anything by day 3 unless your REALLY know what you're looking for and have super eyes. By day 3 you may see a small red ring towards the air cell. That's the start of the veining system, but it's really faint.

Back
Top Bottom