Pic of the dropping that had me worried about possible cocci

welovechickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Round Rock
Ok, this is the dropping that had me freaked out about cocci.

What do you all think? I haven't seen any more like this so far.

Scroll down if you want to see.....

24413_chickendropping.jpg

I wouldn't worry about that. Cocci poo often is literally blood streaks that looks like actual blood from a cut or scrape. Furthermore, if the chicks are perky, they are fine. Cocci of all forms, regardless if it is the type that leads to bloody poo or not, will present in lethargic chicks first. Blood is the last stages of the infestation.

Nope, no colored food, no treats lately....just chick starter and water. I know they try to eat their bedding (shavings) any chance they get, but since they're on a wire floor they don't get many opportunities.

Thanks for the reassurance!! I've raised baby chicks many times in the past and never even thought about them getting sick....I guess I'm just paranoid since I lost one. Thanks for putting up with my questions! LOL
smile.png

My guess is that it's just a mix of cecal poop and normal poop. My birds leave things like that behind sometimes, and nothing ever happens to them. Cocci poops are usually gross diarrhea with lots of blood. Wait till they get a hold of some fruit and eat more than they can handle... that's a sight to behold when it comes out the other end. lol

Back
Top Bottom