Picked up a free Roo today, it needed re-homing

I don't doubt the expertise of this site's posters, you've not steered me wrong. I'll get a better photo in the next day or so, and check the leg color very closely. There is no feathering on them, that's clear. I would note however - and I know its not visible in that terrible photo - that his fluff and hocks are uniformly grey, there's no discernable barring at all - unlike any picture I can find of any Black Sex Link, Barred Rock, Marans (which, honestly, seems sort of expensive for a possible TSC bird), or the (eliminated by comb) Dominique.

of course, our TSC uses Hoovers, and judging from my other 30+ birds, Hoover's flocks do not have crisp clean colors or patterns.

But this thing looks like someone glued a BR top to some grey/blue bottom...
I have been seeing some wacky looking Barred rocks on the Breed/gender page that are coming from big hatcheries, especially birds from TSC which gets most of their birds from Hoover’s.

E8940ED7-8A37-40B9-91C4-08E993BEF076.jpeg

See what I mean?

The husband spoke almost no English, and the wife didn't know much about chickens. She thought it might be a Cochin / Dominique cross?

View attachment 2383441
legs look pinkish pale in the pic, a lot of motion still pic would be better looks like a hatchery silver cuckoo marans or at least a cross, if the legs have a slight yellowish color it’s a cross of something barred with single comb

Attachments

• 93742D1C-9EF6-4114-B06D-B5DA97313038.png
    93742D1C-9EF6-4114-B06D-B5DA97313038.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
I think that single combs are recessive? Did some quick googling and I think that you need to cross two singles to get a single. @MysteryChicken is better at this than me.
Yes, Single combs are recessive. They need two copies to show, unlike other comb types that are dominant, & can show up with, one, or two copies.

Back
Top Bottom