Picked up a free Roo today, it needed re-homing

Pics

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
The husband spoke almost no English, and the wife didn't know much about chickens. She thought it might be a Cochin / Dominique cross?

1603407593708.png

I caught the adult's photo as the dog chased him away... He's in quarantine now, will be for the next three weeks, him and the son - but his quarantine "run" is larger than the space this couple had for their whole (mostly bantams) flock.

(In fairness, they had a LOT of space for their birds, more than most - I'm just using an area I had fenced off for another purpose, as I didn't have time to make something of smaller size)

Will get better photos later in the week, after they have settled in some and recognize me as a source of food, instead of a tall predator-type.

and this is the son - by one of three birds. One was pretty clearly a black cochin, one may have been a blue cochin but very poorly marked, it was almost uniformly grey, more like a blue Australorp, and the third had too distinct a pattern to be the likely dame.

View attachment 2383442
I'd say blue was the mom, but idk anything about chicken genetics.

I think if there is straight comb in there it’s gonna come out with a straight comb, I think? Don’t take anything I say about chicken genetics lightly at ALL I’m really just trying to use my brain here.
I think that single combs are recessive? Did some quick googling and I think that you need to cross two singles to get a single. @MysteryChicken is better at this than me.

Back
Top Bottom