Picked up a free Roo today, it needed re-homing

Pics
More pictures, if he will hold still. Legs are yellow, pale yellow.
16034573960426583325674873914342.jpg

No feather stubs, clean legs.

Hatchery BSL are usually an RIR or NHR over BR pairing, and there is no red in him at all, which I understand to be be common, though more pronounced in the hens, particularly out of the Hatcheries.

Wondering if I don't have something resembling a BSL in many ways, but rather out of some barnyard cross. Whatever the parentage, we know its single comb, since that's recessive and his is "prominent". What's the rule on earlobe colors? yellow legs? and no feather foot, or even the hint of it.

Last edited:
im wondering if he is a BR over something because his legs do appear yellow n the newer photos, there is just something different about him than a BSL. and i dont think he is a pure breed either.

We can't get another picture or two. He keeps posturing and trying to dance around the girls so maybe I can get a good breast picture. Okay. Not a good breast picture oh, but you see all the white on his hocks and how poor the barring is. View attachment 2383965
If this rooster is really from a hatchery, he’s a sapphire gem. Black sex links are black. This rooster has the blue gene. He also isn’t a blue barred rock since he only has one copy of the barring gene (a blue barred rock would have two copies) and has leakage.

If this rooster is really from a hatchery, he’s a sapphire gem. Black sex links are black. This rooster has the blue gene. He also isn’t a blue barred rock since he only has one copy of the barring gene (a blue barred rock would have two copies) and has leakage.
I don't think he's hatchery. Nothing about the couple I got him from suggested they knew much about chickens, or that their flock was recently purchased.

Here's a better picture, today's date.

Top Down, next to a Hoover "Rainbow" on my clay soils. Yes, that's a bit of gold-ish tint about the neck, not just a bad camera.

1613942769856.png

Side view, yesterday's date:
1613942884845.png

and this is three days ago, sorry for the framing, I'm a terrible photographer.
1613943006849.png

Back
Top Bottom