Picking chick breeds

KCsquare

Chirping
Sep 12, 2018
Hudson Valley in NY State
Hi,
I have 2 hens who I think are buff orpingtons. I had 4 Wyandottes, but lost them to a predator.

I'd like to get a few more chicks 9-10, and maybe 3 new breeds and I'm curious what you'd recommend. I've narrowed it down to a few, but wondering what feedback I'll get from a general ask of the experienced here. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Cold hardy as I'm in the Hudson Valley in NY.
2) Friendly bc I have kids who like to gently interact with the hens
3) interesting look
4) Egg layers, but mustn't be extraordinary layers. In case you're wondering, we have no plans to use hens for meat
5) Varying egg colors is of low importance but adding white eggs would be cool

Thanks for the feedback.
Not sure I'll even have the choice as the breeder has what the breeder has, right?

I looked for every single thing you are looking for and ended up getting Lavender Orpingtons,!Brahamas light and buff,Jersey giants,polish,and Easter Eggers, as well as welsummers (But they were for egg purposes), breeds I’ve never kept before other then the Orpington and Eggers, new flock and figured I’d try new breeds.So pretty much was thinking of everything you did,I wanted friendly and eye candy and of course layers.

Buckeyes and Easter Eggers are great. I think if you want some white eggs, Anconas are less flighty than other breeds. D'Anvers fit most of these categories well, if you don't mind getting bantams.
However, Anconas are not very cold hardy, while the other breeds are.

3 breeds that i would recommend are white leghorns, lakeshore eggers(Meyer hatchery hybrid) and barred rock. All are very cold hardy on my Ohio farm, friendly with my girls 2y2m and 5y8m.

We got all our chicks in this flock from Meyer Hatchery. The lakeshore lays a big green egg and the leghorn lays very big white eggs. And all of them lay consistently. The barred rock is a bit more difficult to track as most of mine lay brown. Fifi and snowy are the only ones of their color so it’s very easy to monitor.

Good luck in your search! I fill my cart up all the time with new breeds i want to try.

Ok. Based on availability I'm looking to add to my 2 Golden Buffs with:

1 black polish
2 white leghorn
2 lakeshore eggers
2 Easter eggers
2 buff brahma standard

Should I be concerned with the size of the buff brahma? Meyers site says they're 9.5 - 12 lbs which is double the size of the other birds I have!!!!

I really want a pair of white cochins but I think I'm out of space.... Should I swap the brahmas for the cochins?
Or considering adding just 1 white cochin.

Ahhhh. Thanks!

I’d replace the white leghorns with Cochins,
Ok. Based on availability I'm looking to add to my 2 Golden Buffs with:

1 black polish
2 white leghorn
2 lakeshore eggers
2 Easter eggers
2 buff brahma standard

Should I be concerned with the size of the buff brahma? Meyers site says they're 9.5 - 12 lbs which is double the size of the other birds I have!!!!

I really want a pair of white cochins but I think I'm out of space.... Should I swap the brahmas for the cochins?
Or considering adding just 1 white cochin.

Ahhhh. Thanks!
Cochins are more docile while leghorns tend to be flighty, and skittish.

Back
Top Bottom