Picking chickens up

Herbanfarmer

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2019
near Denver, CO
I have a new flock of 6 hens. They're 3 months old right now and only one chicken will let me pick her up. The rest run away squawking. I need to be able to handle them for a couple of reasons, but right now my concern is that we're going on vacation in September and I'll be bringing my chickens to a friend's home while we're gone. She has a lot of chickens, a large enclosed run and barn, and I have to be able to find and catch my chickens to bring them back home.

My previous hens were a lot more cooperative and I brought them to my friend's home and back often, with no problems. Or if we needed to dust them or check them over for injuries, they were not difficult to catch and handle.

Common sense tells me to just continue trying to handle them until they calm down. The one that lets me pick her up will actually climb into my lap and hunker down when I'm sitting on the ground. I've been hand-feeding treats to them, and they have no problem getting close to me when I'm seated on the ground and will even walk over my legs or climb under them. But as soon as I try to touch them, they run away.

I also bought plastic leg bands so I can identify them, and was wondering if anyone else has used them. Two of my chickens already have legs too big for the bands, I'll have to get extra large ones. But I just want to make sure they will not irritate their legs or feet. Or if there's a better alternative. Thanks...

You've actually successfully sent your flock into another flock in the past?
Wow. I would think that your chickens and the chickens in the other flock would be highly susceptible to contracting coccidiosis from the new strains of coccidia oocysts they would be exposed to from each other. Not to mention the pummeling the "new additions" would take being put into an established flock.
Is there no way you can hire someone to watch over your flock during your vacation?
As to your chickens not letting you pick them up, it's perfectly normal. They are prey animals. They sound friendly enough. When I do routine health checks, I just wait until everyone has gone to roost, wear a headlamp and pluck them off the roost and do what I need to do. Very simple.
I don't leg band my flock so I can't help you there.

I use coloured zip ties for leg bands. I have to band leghorns - they are too difficult to tell apart. I have banded 2 other hens recently as they each had an issue I wanted to keep an eye on and it was easier to band them to make double sure I had the right hen. No issues with the zip ties - put on loose enough there’s no rubbing. Cut the extra off.

I will say that somehow one leghorn did get hers off. I can’t even guess how she did it. Houdini. It happened while I was gone several days and now I’m not 100% sure I rebanded the correct hen. Grr. Especially as one of them had an off day yesterday- acting off. Acting ok today but I keep notes to track them and not knowing for sure which hen it was is aggravating.

I also want to say that I did end up taking a band off of my light Brahma. I no longer needed it as the other light Brahma died (sob!). I saw her pecking at it several times over several days. Since she has feathered feet I guess it was bothering the growth. So if you have feathers feet chickens you may need to pay close attention to any banding and potential irritation.

I find my chickens are less threatened by me moving my hand underneath them. from the front, to pick them up. I think part of their fear is the "unknown thing swooping down from above them". Not that this always works, but you might try it. Or/and, get a big fishing net on a long handle. Or/and a long pole with a hook on the end to grab them by the leg.
I used colored zip ties to band my chickens, but it takes two people unless you are very dexterous. Also, you have to replace them as the chickens grow. And you have to replace them before the chicken ankle has grown around the band. Ugh!

I have 2 of mine banded but my other 2 are not. I check the bands often though because if it doesn’t slide on the leg, it needs to come off. A tight band can be disastrous. Originally I did it to tell them apart but now, it’s really easy because they have their own personality and appearance. I only have 4 though. :) We started with 6 but 2 have passed. As for taking them somewhere, I prefer to leave mine home in their own environment. We get someone to check on them once a day. I’m too afraid of illness and “not getting along” to send them anywhere with other chickens.
As far as picking them up, 2 are good but the other 2 run away. However, they don’t have a choice cause I’m picking them up anyway. They normally settle town pretty quickly.

If your only leaving for a week during vacation would it be easier to set them up with additional waters and feeders to last the week.
The OP could try this or at least reduce the times someone would need come over as the pullets aren’t laying yet.

I’d love to be able to reduce the times needed for my sitter to come over but my hens all lay in the same boxes despite having more options. I am worried about eggs getting broken when they pile up in the box. I’ve had a few toenail eggs from this.

Some birds are just flighty. Handling them regularly, as you are doing, will help. I tend to walk with a broomstick and arms outstretched, or with a second person, towards my flock, towards a corner and trap birds against the fence to catch them once I herd them over there. Nabbing a bird once it goes to roost at night or before it heads outdoors during the day might be your best bet. Good luck!

Thanks for the ideas! I especially like the zip ties, they'd be easier to put on and the size can be controlled.

We're going to be gone for 2 weeks. I don't think the girls will be laying eggs at that point, but if I leave them home I want someone to check on them every day and don't know anyone here that can do that for me. At one point I had a house sitter, but she moved out of state. I'm looking for another one.

I've left my hens with my friend several times over the past few years. They don't seem to get picked on by the other chickens (they are all rescues and maybe are used to newcomers) and there have been no health issues. My chickens did tend to stick together as a group when staying at her place. I'd even "borrowed" chickens from her when my old flock was down to one hen after 8 years.

Back
Top Bottom