Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
About two weeks out I will do a 600km day trip to select (from 30 roos/60 pullets) the five birds. I have asked the breeder to suggest 5 and will take my animal enthusiast friend to help me make the final selection.

I currently have:

eight 3 year mixed hens
two 2 year "one pure & one mix" Chantecler hens
one 15 month "near Chantecler" roo

three 5 month Barred Rock pullets
three 4 month Barred Rock pullets
one 4 month Barred Rock cockerel

Will cull roo and six mixed hens

Leaves seven Rocks, one "pure Chantecler", 3 mixed favourites from 3 year old flock

Will add five "pure Chanteclers"

New flock size is sixteen.

Last edited:
Per my #1 post above I will cull my "near Chantecler rooster - 15 months". My animal enthusiast friend was with me when we picked it up. will help with this selection.

@Mrs. K your high quality comment made me smile; my thought exactly. I suggest all females ponder that for a few moments.

The breeder has coquelets from his four family lines available. One needs multiple breeding pens to accommodate; my breeder's setup is brilliant - under a barn overhang with a number of 4-6 cage rows. In my dreams.

Last edited:
I have known of Mary's (@Folly's place) interest in Chanteclers for some time; good to hear she provides quality stock. It is written that they have a quiet temperament.

I got 60 eggs from my breeder 2+ years back, hatched 15, have one hen left (she does not lay at the moment); I have learned a lot in that time.

Ours have been from Cackle since a nearby breeder stopped raising them, long ago. Maybe luck, or something, but none of the Cackle cockerels have been difficult! Most have had to move on elsewhere, because we don't have a bachelor coop for them.
My avatar is our first 'keeper' Solo, much missed.
This spring we need to add to our flock, and plan to order a few more from Cackle. If a broody turns up at a good time, hope to raise some from our birds too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom