Picking up our chicks today!

TERRY4

Songster
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Jeromesville, Ohio
Were getting 6 barred rock pullets. Hope that's enough. I have a huge type set up in the k kitchen, with the light on top and water/food ready. I'm using shavings for bedding. This is ohio sho they'll have top stay in for 2-3 weeks, until they're big enough top go out in the pen. I'm wondering, will they needed a bulb when I put th em out? How old are they when they can tolerate without a hear bulb?

Excited but nervous..

Terry

Were getting 6 barred rock pullets. Hope that's enough. I have a huge type set up in the k kitchen, with the light on top and water/food ready. I'm using shavings for bedding. This is ohio sho they'll have top stay in for 2-3 weeks, until they're big enough top go out in the pen. I'm wondering, will they needed a bulb when I put th em out? How old are they when they can tolerate without a hear bulb?

Excited but nervous..

Terry
I'm new to this as well. But, from what I have read, they need heat until they have feathers on their head. You start with the temp around 90 degrees (week 1) and drop it 5 degrees each week until about 6 weeks when they should have feathers on their head. If anyone know differently, please feel free to correct me.

At 2-3 weeks, yes they will need a heat bulb. You might put them in your garage for a while because it is still so cold. I live in Cincinnati and today it snowed!! So yes they will definitely need a heat bulb, and you should keep them in the garage until they are completely feathered, even then on cold nights while they are still young you might turn on the heat lamp in their coop. Good luck, and don't worry they will tell you when something is wrong.
D.gif

Ok. We just got back from the store. They were all out of barred rocks until tues, so we got a Rhode Island Red chick, that's the same age. These are approx. 1 week he said. They're quite happy in their new home, and eating, drinking, and sleeping under the bulb. I am truely grateful to be part of this group, for the help and advise, I might need.

Oh. It is exactly 1 year to the month, that I joined. And we now have chicken, a year later.

Back
Top Bottom