Pickled eggs?

Thanks for the info. I made my first test batch tonight. I just used one can of pickled beets and 3 hardboiled eggs and put everything into a small glass jar. Added just enough white vinegar to cover everything to the top. Will give it a few days for the eggs to get pickled and then try it out. I like pickled beets, but have never tried pickled eggs. If it turns out good, I'll probably try a few other recipes as well.

Updating my previous post. My test batch of pickled eggs and beets was very successful. I have always liked pickled beets, so the method of adding hardboiled eggs to cans of pickled beets seemed like a good method to start. After about 4 days in the refrigerator, I took out some pickled beets and eggs and sliced up one of the hardboiled eggs. The egg white had turned beet red and that went through almost all the way to the yolk. The egg white (red) was firmer now that it was pickled, but I don't know if I would call it rubbery. Anyway, I loved the taste of the pickled egg.

I was so surprised at how good it tasted, that I decided to have my wife try some. Of course, she is adamantly opposed to trying anything new, but she did consent to just a small piece. To her surprise, she also liked the pickled egg. So now we both enjoy a little side dish of pickled beets and eggs to go with an appropriate meal.

I like pickled products, so I was not too surprised to discover that pickled eggs were also to my taste. My wife rarely eats anything pickled, including pickles. So we were both surprised to find she likes pickled eggs with beets.

I now have an additional 3 batches of pickled beets and eggs in the refrigerator, but my jars are small and I only have 4 hardboiled eggs in each glass jar, along with some pickled beets in each jar.

Making pickled eggs using beets and juice from a can of pickled beets is super easy. After packing the glass jars and adding the pickled beet juice from the original can, I just top off each new jar with white vinegar - and nothing else. Super simple and very tasty.

Does anybody have any good recipes for pickled eggs?

I found this online... I haven't tried it yet... But it sounds simple yet delicious.
What you need:
  • 2 cups (approximately) of beet cooking liquid
  • 12 large eggs
  • ¾ cup of water
  • 1 cup red wine vinegar
  • ¼ cup pickling spices
  • ¼ cup of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
What to do:

1. Cook the beets in water, drain, reserving the liquid, and save the beets for other dishes (you can make a beet salad or an appetizer later).

2. Place the eggs in a 3-quart saucepan adding reserved beet juice and water, if necessary, to cover eggs completely. Heat to a rolling boil over high heat and reduce the heat to simmering. Cook on moderate heat (to prevent the grey discolouration around the yolk) for 10 minutes.

3. When done, pour the beet liquid into a medium saucepan and run cold water over the eggs. Set them aside to cool. Add the vinegar, spices, salt and sugar to the cooking liquid, and heat again to simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

4. When the eggs are cool enough to handle, tap them gently one by one with a wooden spoon until they are covered with thin cracks, but keep the shells in place. Place the eggs loosely in a tall jar (or use two jars if necessary) and leave about 1 inch of head-space. Pour the hot pickling liquid over the eggs.

5. There should be enough liquid to cover eggs completely. If not, add warm water as necessary. Once at room temperature, cover the jars and refrigerate for 1 to 3 weeks before serving.

Beet pickled eggs taste better at room temperature. Take them out of the fridge and bring to room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Peel. Serve with Tartar sauce or Mayonnaise.

Beet pickled eggs taste better at room temperature. Take them out of the fridge and bring to room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Peel. Serve with Tartar sauce or Mayonnaise.
Personally I prefer pickled eggs when they are cold rather than at room temperature. I also find that drizzling some of the pickling juice on the yolk is good.

Back
Top Bottom