Pickled Quail Eggs

jackson41

Songster
9 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Wisconsin
FAT DADDY YOUR RECIPE ROCKS!!!!

Tried my first pickled quail eggs following Fat Daddy's recommendations YUM! Thanks

P.S. They do go with Brandy!

Last edited:
I had a feel'in they would go with brandy...Seems ya either really like'm or ya really dont... Hard to beat while sitt'in around a big fire tell'in lies....ERRR, Sharing life experiences...
wink.png
Bill

Where's the recipe? I just did one I found on the net. Id like to try another. Since I have eggs comming out my ears, 700 in the bator and still getting 40-45 day.

Here's Cindy's recipe, rumored to have won the Alaska State fair a few years ago, they are GOOOOOOOD!!!

Here is a recipe for pickled quail eggs that will knock your SOCKS off. Won the Alaska state fair a couple years back. Yum!

Cindy’s Spicy Pickled Quail Eggs
Instructions
In enameled or stainless steel saucepan, add all ingredients except eggs and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to steep for at least two hours.

To easily hard boil & peel all fresh eggs, even right from the coop:

Bring water in 3 qt saucepan to a rolling boil. Place eggs in pot on slotted spoon or ladle. Some eggs may crack but they should still be ok. I do remove any unsightly ones. Boil quail eggs for 10-12 minutes, chicken eggs for 14-15 minutes. Pour hot water off and replace with cold water. Keep switching water out until eggs are cool. You can use ice cubes but cold tap water usually works just fine. Transfer eggs to colander once cool.

Peel eggs in a bowl of cold water and shells should slip right off, even fresh ones from the coop/pen. For quail eggs, remove membrane. It’s ok to leave them on but once pickled in the jars, it will look sloppy.

Pack approximately 23-25 quail eggs per jar (jars should be sterilized and hot at this point). Ladle hot liquid and spices over eggs and wipe rim of jars clean with a damp towel leaving ½” headspace. Place lids on the jars and screw on band tops. Process jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes (once water returns to a boil). Remove from the hot water and set aside to cool. Jars should seal as they cool. Any jars that do not seal properly should be refrigerated and consumed within 2 weeks.

Allow properly sealed jars to sit at least 5 weeks before eating. OK to eat sooner but flavors don’t fully combine until at least 5 weeks. For stronger flavor, poke holes in eggs with a toothpick before placing in the jars. Refrigerate after opening.

Yield: 2 pints

Ingredients
4 dozen Quail eggs
3 cups white vinegar
4 teaspoons canning/pickling or sea salt
1 heaping TBSP Cayenne pepper
6 garlic cloves, crushed
12-15 Peppercorns
10-15 whole allspice
One large yellow or small white/red onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
Thin slice of fresh ginger root
2 bay leaves
2 fresh hot peppers, such as Serrano, Tabasco, or Habanero sliced.
10-15 slices of pickled jalapeno slices (or more to taste)
Fresh parsley
Fresh thyme
Fresh dill (optional)
Feel free to add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce or Habanero hot sauce
Note: Brine may make be enough to make a third pint so don’t hesitate to boil more eggs. Top jars off with vinegar if you run just a little short.

Last edited:
Quote:
HERE YA GO!!

Let the eggs sit in vinegar for 12 hrs and shells will be gone. Membrane will still need to be peeled like a grape skin, but its easy. I do it this way for pickling. BTW, the brown spots on coturnix eggs is just paint, it comes off and floats in about 30 mins

Drop them into sanitized jars and fill the voids with 50% Louisiana hot sauce and 50% vinegar with some pickling spice and mustard seed. I'v made literally 100's and they never last long and are killer with cold beer. I have trouble leave'in them alone once started

This one is Dirks and its a keeper too. Bill

I use this recipe to pickle either eggs or sausages. It takes about 7 days in the fridge for the flavor to penetrate well into a "C" egg. Longer is better.

Pickling Brine
5 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. pickling salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. Texas Pete / Louisiana hot sauce

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom