Picky chicken? Won't eat till later

Mar 29, 2021
So I have a disabled chicken, she has no top beak. I hand feed her twice a day with measured amounts. Shes eating less as the weather warms up but she's begun a new habit- she won't eat until around 8-9am. I want to feed them before work but she just won't eat. Comes out of the coop looking interested and then seems to be sad that I have just pellets. My girlfriend is able to feed her later in the day but why is she doing this in the first place?

She's holding back because chicken pecking order rules dictate that disabled chickens don't get to eat until all the other have had their fill. This is agreed upon by both your disabled hen and all the rest. You will not be able to override it.

The solution is to create a secure feeding area where this hen can eat in peace and at her own pace without being hounded. This is going to be necessary if you don't want to see her slowly starve.

She's holding back because chicken pecking order rules dictate that disabled chickens don't get to eat until all the other have had their fill. This is agreed upon by both your disabled hen and all the rest. You will not be able to override it.

The solution is to create a secure feeding area where this hen can eat in peace and at her own pace without being hounded. This is going to be necessary if you don't want to see her slowly starve.
She's only got one other flock mate, and the disabled chicken is actually the one in charge. The other one is a shy silkie that refuses to take charge. They both come up for food, but the disabled one seems jealous that the other can get bugs and leaves and she can't as often. She goes and looks for bugs instead but gets much less than the other for obvious reasons. She still eats fine and doesn't give a rats butt, but it has to be later, like she needs to wait to be hungry. But she should be hungry right in the morning after sleeping for 8 or more hours. This issue has only started last week, and the disabled one even makes the other one give her bugs she's hunted sometimes. She's not starving because my girlfriend can make sure she's fed, and if it's eggs (her favorite) she can scarf them back like she's got a full beak

Back
Top Bottom