Picky hens a laying ....

JulieZ

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Trenton, Florida
I have 5 out of 19 hens that have started laying. I have a pink bin out there for them & that's ALL they use. I had a blue & clear one but oh no. I went out & bought another pink one. They jump in when they are getting ready to lay but as soon as it's time, they jump to the original pink one. What are the chances the other birds will begin using another bin? They seem to be attracted to the pink but the one used is in the corner of the shed coop. I put the other one in the opposite corner, in the middle and now side by side. Side by side works best but are all hens this picky? What are the chances of another hen breaking an egg already in the original bin? (I am using plastic eggs to help entice.)

Julie

Your post is making me smile.

As to other hens breaking eggs, I wouldn't worry about it. I have 7 layers, and most of them lay in 3 different nest boxes. Sometimes I find 4 eggs in one nest box, sometimes 3. Haven't had any break yet. I DO keep a lot of shavings in the nest boxes, and I gather daily, so there isn't a whole lot of foot traffic to break 'em in a day's time.

Back
Top Bottom