(Pics)HELP, Am I crazy?? Chicken has not laid egg, no Signs off egg binding, or lethargy!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redrstr29, Sep 13, 2015.

1. redrstr29

redrstr29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Yup its the same egg I have been feeling for a couple weeks, its swollen on her back side...that fleshy part were the smaller feathers are lol, i dont know what its called,but I hate to do it, I just don't feel like playing Doctor, and still end up with the same result, you know what I mean?

Aldo

2. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    yea, I get it, maybe you're not feeling an egg at all then, but some growth or something (just taking a stab, no pun intended) :(

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge True BYC Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Sadly I think she is elderly and could be laying internally or have a growth. Keep us posted on her progress or any changes. Someone may have more info and see the thread if we keep it close to the top.

I am hoping for the best for her.

4. redrstr29

Mar 19, 2013
    Yeah , It def feels like an egg which is up more towards her vent, but I could be wrong, I think she is bound or laying internally as y'all said, I just hate processing one here and there, I'd rather do it all at a clip, but such is life, I feel bad, but not really (if that makes sense) I just want to get things squared away before I stat work (hopefully soon [​IMG]) I've been getting bites on my resume, so I think I'm close. I just don't want to worry about a chicken when I'm there... My spouse is in the military so I'm on my own with this. [​IMG]....Why am I so obsessed with chickens again? [​IMG] ...... We'll see what tomorrow brings I'll keep you guys updated

Thank you so much,
    Aldo

5. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    If you have to cull you have to cull. It's sad, but unfortunately it's a part of this. One I have yet to face, but I'm working myself up to realizing that I rather cull than see one suffer. It's not going to be easy, but it will get done whether by my own hand or my son's father's hand. It's hard because I'm attached to my babes, but I know it will be the right decision when the time comes.

6. redrstr29

Mar 19, 2013
    Your right. I have culled so MANY, and now at the ripe age of 32 ([​IMG]) I have gotten soft. But I will do it. I don't want to see her decline much more. She was even resting today with her eyes closed, then if i made a noise she would walk around, I think its because I'm not working, and been spending too much time around them, I wake up at 5 am every morning, and start doing yard work, then putts around with them. Well I'll start sharpening up the knifes tomorrow.[​IMG].. I gotta post more pics!!

7. redrstr29

Mar 19, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had to add in some of my front yard flower bed

8. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Quote: I just turned 34, and despite growing up at my grandma's farm (not full time, but I was always there, and lived there with my dad on and off from infant to toddler) I never saw or experienced culling or slaughtering of any animals. She sent hers off to process. I'm not sure how she and grandpa handled putting any out of misery, but I'm sure they did it.

9. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Quote: That is gorgeous!!

10. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge True BYC Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I had a favorite hen that declined rapidly. I could not bring myself to do the deed. I admit I am a softie when it comes to some of them too. I took her to the vet to be put down.

Funny how some of them get into the squishy parts of our hearts.

[​IMG]

That flower bed is so pretty. I am working on one for my house and am wondering what the red flowers you have there are.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by