Pics of Happy, Pampered, Spoiled Chickens!!

Quote:
Well.. I'd certainly be hesitant about giving them a kiddie pool with more than 2 inches of water without supervision. But I've also read about (and done myself) putting shallow pans of water in the run for them to wade in, which they seem to enjoy. I wish I had a pool to try going swimming with the chickens in. Although wouldn't the chlorine be damaging to their skin and feathers or no more than it does us?

Quote:
Ciara-I think chicken are smarter than people give them credit for.
wink.png
Come back and post for me how it goes with your girls.
big_smile.png

Quote:
TSC-
I really didn't give my girls a choice. I just scooped them up, careful to hold their wings closed and slowly lowered them in. At first, I continue to hold the wings while they are in the water. The first time I let go, they kinda freaked out, but every day I repeated the process and each time they relaxed more. By around the third time, they just relaxed and enjoyed. I usually do it when I see them panting and it really does cool them down. It's pretty fun too.

Is the water Chlorinated?

here is a link to a guy whos chicken also goes swimming in the same manner.
Note : the guy who posted the video later reports back that the chicken passed away.

I would think it would be more fun for the chicken to have a small shallow "pool" of his own- without any chemicals

Quote:
The chlorine has not done anything to hurt our birds. We love them very much and would never harm them. They don't drink the water, they just swim and bring their body temp. down in it. The guy in video you referred to did post that his chicken passed away, and he was very clear that it had nothing to do with being in the pool. I feel the heat is more of a danger to my birds than a dip and cool off in our pool. Again, they don't drink the water and it does wonders for lowering their body temperature.

How warm are your nights? I'm assuming that the chickens get good and dry before bedtime?

While our days can get quite warm, the fog usually rolls in and it will drop into the low 60's at night. Sometimes into the 50's. If I tried this, I would only get their bottoms wet. I would want to be sure they were fully dry before bedtime.

Back
Top Bottom