Pics of Happy, Pampered, Spoiled Chickens!!

Quote:
They immediately begin preening when they get out. You'd be surprised how quickly they dry off. I Think yours would be just fine. I don't usually do it right before bed, but I'd have to say that within a 1/2 hour to an hour, they're dry again (although I never really timed it).

That's just too cool! She certainly looks like she's a natural!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well.. I'd certainly be hesitant about giving them a kiddie pool with more than 2 inches of water without supervision. But I've also read about (and done myself) putting shallow pans of water in the run for them to wade in, which they seem to enjoy. I wish I had a pool to try going swimming with the chickens in. Although wouldn't the chlorine be damaging to their skin and feathers or no more than it does us?

Moonkit
Mine don't seem to be interested at all in the shallow pans of water. The pool however, they love ❤. You are right in your thinking about the chlorine. It really doesn't harm them. Our chickens certainly haven't had any ill effects. I think the heat is worse for them. And honestly, we love our girls so much, and are so attached to them, that having them in the water with us, is just another way we can give them love and attention (as if they don't get enough of that already!)
wink.png
. It's good cool fun for all involved.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Believe it or not, all three of ours are! I was surprised too. I just felt so bad watching them panting when the heat index was in the hundreds recently, so I put them in and after a little practice, they came to love it.
smile.png

That is too cute. I'd heard that chickens don't have oil like waterfowl and will quickly become sodden and drown. I may try that with my kiddie pool. Please post more pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I'll take more pictures soon and post them. It's really fun. My BO's are super buoyant. Their undersides get super wet, but they don't seem to become less buoyant in the process
idunno.gif
. I even push their tail feathers down in the water and pour water over the heads and backs. It's a really fun way to cool them off in the heat, or just to have fun and bond with them.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom