Pics of my 1st peafowl !!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by kuntrygirl, Dec 10, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    They are 6 months old. I traveled 2 hours to get them. I have no idea if they are male or female. The old man that I got them from had no idea either but he did ensure me that they are Indian Blue's.

[​IMG]

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Congrats! I hope you keep us posted on their progression and how things go. [​IMG]

3. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Yes, they do look like India blues ,, one of them is split to white and both of them are males.. connerhills

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Cool!!! You have a sharp eye. I was clueless being as though I am totally new to peafowl. So glad that both of them are male. But I will need to get some hens in the future.

Thanks for your input.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Now you have gone and done it. That's how it starts with peafowl. We started with a pair of India Blues - they turned into a trio, then two pair and this year we kept back 3 more young hens. Along the way we got four 7/8 spaulding and two pair of white.

Everybody loves a pea. lol

Steve

6. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Quote:X2

FYI, the white wing feather seen on the bird showing on the right is an indicator of the split to white....the angle doesn't look as good for viewing of the other one, does he also have the white wing feather? Also, the barring on the backs is an indicator of male, females will lose the barring by that age. Here is a couple pic of a female IB split to white, she's about a 8 months in these pics

this shows the lack of barring on her back.

[​IMG]

and you can see the white in her wing on this one, she's the one in the front. The very colorful one to the left is a male IB that was also split white.
    [​IMG]

congrats on your new adventure into peafowl! [​IMG]

7. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Yay for new peafowl, send me ur email addy and I'll send you jeannies email address( the woman i get my peafowl from) I looked it up on mapquest and it shouldn't take you more than 2 hours to make it to her place. I drive almost 2 hours myself to get to her. [email protected] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by