Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

I'd recommend being quiet around him and doing as little as possible to startle him.
Try getting him to eat treats and feed from your hands -- crouch/kneel down and extend your arms, and wait for a few minutes until he comes over or your arm gets tired. Gradually move your hand closer to your body over the course of a few repetitions, and even as he's eating -- when a chicken starts to eat, they tend to follow the food wherever it goes.
After a few repetitions of this, slowly move your free hand towards him as he eats, stopping if he flinches or moves away. Once he settles, going back to pecking at the treats, move your hand again.
Above all, be patient with him. I haven't taken in any adult roosters, but his was what I was doing with Lefty before he died -- he was a suspicious thing, and I sadly didn't get him to be very comfortable with me, but he was at least eating from my hand.
Good luck with your sweet Brahma!
Get some mealworms to hand feed him! He will be your buddy then!

I'd recommend being quiet around him and doing as little as possible to startle him.
Try getting him to eat treats and feed from your hands -- crouch/kneel down and extend your arms, and wait for a few minutes until he comes over or your arm gets tired. Gradually move your hand closer to your body over the course of a few repetitions, and even as he's eating -- when a chicken starts to eat, they tend to follow the food wherever it goes.
After a few repetitions of this, slowly move your free hand towards him as he eats, stopping if he flinches or moves away. Once he settles, going back to pecking at the treats, move your hand again.
Above all, be patient with him. I haven't taken in any adult roosters, but this was what I was doing with Lefty before he died -- he was a suspicious thing, and I sadly didn't get him to be very comfortable with me, but he was at least eating from my hand.
Good luck with your sweet Brahma!
Thank you SO much!
Did you know the name Link means left.

My standard Frizzle, Lavender, roosting with a Wyandotte bantam tucked under each wing.

20201029_181453.jpg

Back
Top Bottom