Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

These must be the owners of the 3 cute little fluffy butts we saw in an earlier post!

YEP! Same fluffy butts! They always show their best side to the camera :lau
SILKIE CHICKS 7  02-08-2024.jpg

DSCN1981.JPG

What a great photo! I love having treasures like this.
So along the old photos line: These are my grandparents who had a large poultry hatchery in Northern California. We were allowed to play with the chicks (under careful supervision) when we were young children. I stll have his huge egg baskets.

Unfortunately I only had one Sebastopol, Curley. I lost him about a month ago. They have gotten too expensive to purchase now. His mate is now sitting on her nest, but she only had a few eggs when he went missing.

Attachments

• Mamie sorting eggs.jpg
    Mamie sorting eggs.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Grandpa and his turkeys.jpg
    Grandpa and his turkeys.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 6
@NevadaEmma -- Wow! Your grandpa had a LOT of turkeys! My grandpa had a lot of ducks!

Use your magnifiers to see these vintage pics :lau

c. 1920's -- the good ole approaching Depression era -- chickens, ducks, geese for family use as well as to trade resources with neighboring farmers
No 008 - Bunia sister Mary or Pearl.png

c. 1930 - my Mom herding ducks with her little sis and bro
No 003 - Bunia Baja farm ducks.png

@NevadaEmma - I would get sickened as a kid on slaughter day on the farm. I have no idea how Mom was able to handle slaughter days when one gets so attached to animals.

Mom's pet Talouse with our farm dog -- use your magnifiers to see pic :lau

c, 1950
View attachment 3761740
Well it was just part of their lives that most people do not do anymore.

I remember my sister would not eat chicken for years because she saw the head of a chicken chopped off and the bird ran around in a frenzy afterwards for a bit.

I think I could butcher poultry if I needed to, but I agree it would be hard to kill and then eat your pet if you had other resources.

Porter's flock. Porter is on the far left, Ebanezer is the black rooster, P.J. is to the left of Ebanezer. The five girls are Peaches (buff laced sebright in front), Billie and Queenie (mottled cochins), Nyx (black cochin pullet), and Bianca (buffed laced mix)
They are a fun group to watch. The boys play bodyguards, while the girls eat, drink, and have a good time.
20240302_155700.jpg

Porter's flock. Porter is on the far left, Ebanezer is the black rooster, P.J. is to the left of Ebanezer. The five girls are Peaches (buff laced sebright in front), Billie and Queenie (mottled cochins), Nyx (black cochin pullet), and Bianca (buffed laced mix)
They are a fun group to watch. The boys play bodyguards, while the girls eat, drink, and have a good time.
View attachment 3761867

What a nice area they have to dust bathe! Pretty birds @janiedoe

Back
Top Bottom