Picture Stealers

Yes, I've had it happen twice....once on ebay and once on a private website. I contacted the seller and ebay and they finally took it down. It's against ebay policy to use someone elses pictures without their permission. I also contacted the private website person and after some hounding they did take it down.

ETA: On the ebay situation I also contacted every person who had bought hatching eggs based on the picture of my birds. They were not happy....it's false advertising.

Last edited:
Watermark your pictures. It's easy to do with any graphics program. You paste your name and the copyright symbol
00a9.png
prominently on each photo.
(on PC's you can type the copyright symbol by holding down the alt key, typing 0169 on the numeric keypad, and then releasing the alt key; or launch the character map and copy and paste from there).

I have had continual problems with Chinese sites stealing photos of my sculpture and stonework, so when I rebuilt my website last year I went from little watermarks to really large obnoxious one; unfortunate from a graphics standpoint, but necessary.

Last edited:
I have occasionally found a picture on a website I'd like to use, and I always write and ask permission. If it doesn't come, I don't use it. But if it comes, then I always wonder,...did they have the rights in the first place to give me permission? At least I do my best to be nice. ~?;^>

--Bryan

I had a stock photo I took and posted on Flickr for use on another site. One guy used it for his business in another state. However, I don't think there was any contact information at all for him (or he had a non-working phone number). I tried contacting the web host, no luck. So, what I did was make the photo private and it got it off the site. Doesn't always work, though.

I always worry about this a little because I do use my photos to earn money by illustrating my articles and posts on other sites, plus I enter them into shows.

Someone suggested that I watermark or mark my photos with my web address for my sites. Many people who steal photos are too lazy to even remove the marks. That way, I, at least, get free advertising for my site. I've seen it with other sites, too. One girl posted a lot of photos of pretty cakes on her web page at random, just because she liked the photos, but had someone else's web address. So, I went to that web address and found out how to order those cakes.

Quote:
What a pain this is turning out to be !
barnie.gif

I contacted ebay again & I contacted another BYC'er Whos photo was being used.
We both contact ebay & they removed the post from ebay.

The add is for Silver Laced Polish hatching eggs. The pics posted on their ebay add are from me josh44 & chickenzoo out in FL.

I'ts up again
rant.gif
somad.gif

What should I do ???

Should i just keep hounding ebay, until the seller decides to stop their posting ?

Does ebay even take this serious
idunno.gif

Have you written to the seller on eBay?

A friend of mine gets his photos stolen regularly, he had posted a few for screen savers for his forum and other people find the large sized file and use even though the download is clear as to the use and intent. He usually rights a strong letter, sounds like he had legal help drafting a form letter, asking them to cease and desist and asking for all profits made on the use of his image. His photos have been used on the side of a grooming business and for a Vet, so the idea of loosing their profit usually gets them to pay for the use of the image or remove it.

Josh, you have beautiful birds. Try contacting the seller on ebay.

I really think it shows a lot of a seller if they steal photo's which are NOT of their own birds. How will send out your eggs? Will they send out eggs? How about trying to put a watermark across your photo's, helps a million when catching out stealer-sellers.
I hope your photo's are removed and you are refunding with credit and a sincere apology.
hugs.gif

Quote:
What a pain this is turning out to be !
barnie.gif

I contacted ebay again & I contacted another BYC'er Whos photo was being used.
We both contact ebay & they removed the post from ebay.

The add is for Silver Laced Polish hatching eggs. The pics posted on their ebay add are from me josh44 & chickenzoo out in FL.

I'ts up again
rant.gif
somad.gif

What should I do ???

Should i just keep hounding ebay, until the seller decides to stop their posting ?

Does ebay even take this serious
idunno.gif

I would write to the seller and threaten to take legal action. I had a "hatchery" a couple months ago steal a picture of one of my birds, crop out the background, and use it to sell their chicks. They took it down and told me that they would give me store credit, I don't wan't any of your hatchery birds, so finally they sent me a paypal payment since they use my photo and made money off it. Worked out in the end.

Keep hounding ebay until they fix it.

Back
Top Bottom