Pictures of my injured girl. Please help.

Do you have a dog crate, or can you borrow a friends dog crate. Honestly thats the best way. Once these girls smell blood...
The vet wrap should work on its own without the bandaid's, those may be causing her irritation, hence her pecking. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Ouch poor girl! Yes, even a large dog kennel in the house is your best bet before they end up making this into a much worse thing! She won't like it but she will heal much quicker seperated from the other 2.

And for TSC employees yes some know what they are talking about while others kind of just guess (great store don't get me wrong) I would keep it clean keep the neosporin going, run an antibotic for a week, and then see how she looks.

Please Please put her in a dog kennel at least, I am sure you could borrow one from someone! :)

I would definitely put her in a box or crate for a couple days, I also don't know why Tractor Supply would not recommend Blu Kote, it is supposed to work well to discourage pecking as it covers the injured area. Hope she recovers quickly!

I often use Blu Kote to hide blood from feather pecking or small wounds. If that doesn't work I have also used pine tar.

I decided to go with the Blue Kote Leslie. I haven't been able yet to observe the effects (kids home from school, dinner time, homework etc...), but when I was applying it with a q-tip, Dixie bit at it and got a good taste. She didn't like it!! Here she is with it. I don't have a dog crate, but if the Blue Kote doesn't put a stop to it, then I will see if I can somehow partition off part of the chicken run for her. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Blue Kote is all she'll need though.

IMG_7383.jpg

IMG_7385.jpg

Last edited:
i would separate her, i know you said you couldn't, but if you have even a box, just put her in a box with food and water for one or two days and she might recover...

I'm going to see if the Blue Kote will work. If it doesn't, I will figure out some way to block a part of the run for her. I want her to get well. Thank you for your advice Haley.

For the second time in 2 days I am going to say- completely disregard any advice you get from the guys at the feed store. They are the single greatest source of erroneous info regarding poultry out there. Blukote does not attract pecking. Blukote is used to discourage pecking by hiding wounds and blood. The color red attracts pecking.

You could put some duct tape over the area. It will fall off over the course time, but will stick better than the bandaids. Duct tape is often used as saddles.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

You need to separate her. Borrow one of those large metal dog kennels. I just had one in ICU (large dog kennel) in my family room for almost 2 weeks after a hawk attack. I am still using the Blu-Kote on Snow's last remaining wound and my other chickens don't go after it. I flushed Snow's wounds with an iodine solution, dried gently, and put Blu-Kote on it. I used neosporin in between those flushing treatments. Also, I put antibiotics in Snow's water (but remember, you can't eat the eggs I think...). I know that sounds like overkill... but I also know how much Snow likes her dirt baths!

I know peeps have used that pine tar to keep other chickens from pecking, but I don't know if you can use it on a wound like that. I am concerned that if your girls are all pecking at it... they will continue. I agree with the honey and oats... my girls would gobble that up!

Good luck!
Dawn

OK.... NM... I just read your reply #15! You did go with the Blu-Kote!!! Good! If it doesn't work, then some sort of separation might be needed even if it's just to cage some part of the coop off with some hardware wire for awhile.

Sorry, I jumped in without reading to the bottom. My bad =).

Last edited:
You need to separate her. Borrow one of those large metal dog kennels. I just had one in ICU (large dog kennel) in my family room for almost 2 weeks after a hawk attack. I am still using the Blu-Kote on Snow's last remaining wound and my other chickens don't go after it. I flushed Snow's wounds with an iodine solution, dried gently, and put Blu-Kote on it. I used neosporin in between those flushing treatments. Also, I put antibiotics in Snow's water (but remember, you can't eat the eggs I think...). I know that sounds like overkill... but I also know how much Snow likes her dirt baths!

I know peeps have used that pine tar to keep other chickens from pecking, but I don't know if you can use it on a wound like that. I am concerned that if your girls are all pecking at it... they will continue. I agree with the honey and oats... my girls would gobble that up!

Good luck!
Dawn

OK.... NM... I just read your reply #15! You did go with the Blu-Kote!!! Good! If it doesn't work, then some sort of separation might be needed even if it's just to cage some part of the coop off with some hardware wire for awhile.

Sorry, I jumped in without reading to the bottom. My bad =).

No need to apologize Dawn. I appreciate your input!

Back
Top Bottom