Pictures of Turkey Vultures

My husband "recycled" a snake that was attacking our martin houses last year...shot it down with a high-powered pellet gun - and threw it out in the field, where a couple of turkey vultures ate it.

deb g

I had to go help this guy over the fence, he wasn't quite ready to fly and my cows were harassing him pretty bad!

40223_babyv.jpg

Quote:
You can also tell in flight by their signature wing dip (back and forth wobble) while flying the air currents. Almost never see them actually beating their wings.

Quote:
nice pic. that is an immature TV. that explains the black head.

Black Vultures are a southern thing, not NY, unless their pop. has exploded or you have captured a very rare stray!!

Hi, I had a rare bird expert look at the photos and this what she said…

Hi Donna,

These are indeed Black Vultures. This species has been expanding its range
in the northeast and sightings are becoming more and more common. You might
try contacting the Eastern Long Island Audubon Society,
http://www.easternlongislandaudubonsociety.org/, to find out more about them
in Long Island.

Good Birding!
Susan Billetdeaux, NARBA

Quote:
nice pic. that is an immature TV. that explains the black head.

Black Vultures are a southern thing, not NY, unless their pop. has exploded or you have captured a very rare stray!!

Awesome pictures! I have never seen a black vulture around here...just the turkey ones. I was hoping my chickens were nervous about nothing. Although last night my neighbor did spray the hose at a couple of them that were making very low circles over the chicken free range area. She said they were "attacking"...but maybe they were just a bit closer than normal. It was really windy.

I do have some young chickens out with the old ones. (10 weeks...they have been outside for a week or so). But they were all hiding under the Mulberry bush just like the big birds told them to. Maybe the young chickens attracted the vultures a bit closer.

Back
Top Bottom