Pictures of what goes on at egg laying time in the hen house

What an adorable thread! I loved seeing the picture sequence of all of your beautiful girls laying, and those fantastic eggs! Now I am envious of the pretty egg colors (the pink is so lovely), and may have to look into getting some girls that lay them.
smile.png
Thanks for sharing!

Those pics just made me smile!
big_smile.png
I have just 2 bantams laying little eggs now. The only other chicken that gets in the nest and makes a fuss is Edward the Rooster!!!! Can't wait to have such a great line up of eggs! Fantastic!!
thumbsup.gif

Here is what my girls gave me today...there are still 2 Black Aussies not laying. I got ten eggs today but just chose what i thought were the prettiest ones. I posted them already as"Eye Candy" I just cant help it. They are so new to me and so pretty. Im still in AWWWW.

23509_dsc03277.jpg

Absolutely lovely photographs, gorgeous chooks and coop! So generous of you to have shared with us.
wee.gif
Your nest boxes remind me of Hollywood Squares! So cute!
cool.png

I have Welsummers ( I think one of yours is a Wellie, too, unless I am mistaken) and mine started laying just after 4 months. Once in a while I still find one on the floor of the coop.

For the floor I am using ledger paper from work that comes out the the shredder looking like sand, it is so fine. We use soy ink, so it is safe. I have it down thick (about 4 inches) , and stir it every day. I also pick up a lot of the droppings right under the roost for the compost pile, and we have a fan in the window, so all is very dry. I have a bit of straw in the nest boxes, but the girls are always scraping it out! They only want a bit around the edges.

I think I may just see how it goes through the winter, and compost the whole thing in spring.

I use a nipple waterer in the coop, but they seem not to like that so much, and once I let them out in the yard for the day they prefer to drink from the metal dishes I put out, and refresh with ice cubes a few times a day when it is this hot. They do love cold water!

Back
Top Bottom