PID controllers

KYBOY

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Eastern,Kentucky
Ive been looking at a PID controller for a home build..The ones Im looking at have an accuracy rating of 0.2% and a testing time of every 1/2 second..Sounds very good and actually cheaper than many herp/incubator thermostats Ive been looking at. I was wondering about the hook up? Just how much different would it be to hook up than a regular thermostat?

I am good with wiring and electrical connections of all sorts..if you could point me to the PID you have in mind, I could tell you how and what you can hook up to it.

Dan

Ill try and post the link in a bit..Its on ebay.I know Id have to buy the thermocouple seperate...I have a good idea but am not 100% sure..Know what I mean?

Be aware, that the seller is in Hong Kong. I keep hearing nightmares about ordering from sellers in that part of the world, but I can't speak to that personally. Poke around the Omega.com site, and see if there is something you can use from them at the right $$. I buy heavy duty type K thermocouples for my kilns from them. They also have lighter duty models, the thermocouples I use would be over kill for a bator. The other thing is depending on the controller you may also need a power supply(transformer) and a relay that actually turns on the heating element. With the controller I have in my kilns, I have relays, the controller would probably fry from the resistive heat from the wattage I run. The folks at Omega are pretty user friendly in my experience, give them a call and tell them what you are doing. I'm not sure how far ahead price wise you will be if you need to buy much more than just a controller though.

Swamp

Quote:
And Twigg is currently being Nice, nice, nice
smile.png

T-Type thermocouple, with exposed tip would work best.

Accuracy should be within 0.5F, and once calibrated would probably be as good as 0.1F.

Go for it, and let us know.

I would be interested in your results also. I have been pondering the possibilities of a PID controller. There has to be something out there that is similar to the thermostats that GQF uses in the cabinets that costs less than 70 bucks. I've found some really good heating elements, now I need to find a decent, affordable controller.

If I dont change my mind I may just buy a 225 watt element from GQF..With the insulators and leads its only $16..
Though my project just got put on hold for a month or so. Got my taxs done today and I owe
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom