Pied Gene In Chickens Believers😋, Discussion Thread.

How Many Of You Believe the Pied Gene Exists In Chickens?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya it would be nice if you explained what you mean by "pied".
To me i'd think a pied chicken chicken would be like a pied guinea.
But it seems your thought is its more like a piebald dog. Certainly there's chickens with white patches. Excherquer leghorns and calico cochins come to mind but those are both off of the mottling gene.
Are you wanting to name one of the mottling mutations something it's not?
Or actually talk about a true pied gene?
Mottling based PieBald gene.

What would be a true pied gene?

I did ask if my bird was just mottled, what mutation would it be, but nobody answered that.

I found an interesting article on this subject that shares pied gene study with the breeding of a Barred Rock hen, & a Black Sumatra rooster. It's a very old article, but there was extensive work done on the experiment, & results have been consistent.

I may test out what they did, & see what the conclusion will end up being.

Mottling based PieBald gene.

What would be a true pied gene?

I did ask if my bird was just mottled, what mutation would it be, but nobody answered that.
Lets just say that on chicken Pied is the same as Mottling and leave it like that,

Here is a Exchequer Leghorn Chick,
1596895137740.png

mottled Houdan Chick

1596895230633.png

Mottling does have a substantial effect on dermis and epidermis melanin(The shank color go from White/Yellow, Mottled to black)
1596896150361.png

Lets just say that on chicken Pied is the same as Mottling and leave it like that,

Here is a Exchequer Leghorn Chick,
View attachment 2281641

mottled Houdan Chick

View attachment 2281646

Mottling does have a substantial effect on dermis and epidermis melanin(The shank color go from White/Yellow, Mottled to black)
View attachment 2281663
Okay, sounds good.

My mom's OEGB/Phoenix cross has white legs, with blue spots, but he's Blue Birchen. So blue diluted his shanks, & left blue patches, or is this feature only associated with mottling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom