Pieds have white splotches all over:
Dragonsbackplateandwings.jpg

pied peahen
Beholdthyfairmaiden.jpg

Damselstreaching.jpg

pied peacock
Dragonpanting.jpg

IMG_5225.jpg

split to whites or dark pied (dark pied is a bird split to pied) will have white primary feathers and sometimes a white throat latch but they won't have white splotches all over just mainly white in the wing or some in the top of the neck.
I only have pictures of a dark pied but still it will look about the same for a split to white. You can mainly only tell the difference between dark pieds and split to whites by knowing the birds parents or by breeding them.
This is from my peachick Peep, this is when he was younger. Here he has his wing down a little so you can see a few of the white flight feathers he has. Most of the time you can only see it when he is flapping.
Wing.jpg

Last edited:
It is my understanding that splite whites have one white parent and pieds carry a pied gene that must be bred with another pied or white to get pied chicks.

However i have a pea that i thought was just split white till someone pointed out the white on its neck now i believe him to be a dark pied or what i call a minimal white pied.

Thanks a bunch. Now I understand that "dark pieds" are "split to whites." I need to talk w my breed mentor. But I definitely have an IB hen about 4-mos-old. Guess my bigguns are STWs.

Quote:
Dark pied and split to whites are very genetically different. They look about the same, visually though. Only way to be sure without records is by breeding and see what chicks they produce. For example, if bird in question is bred to a White and all Pied chicks result, the bird in question is a Dark Pied. If the chicks come out half White, half IB with some white on wings, then it is a STW.

Some have said that if the bird has a white patch on throat, they suspect it is a dark pied. I've had known split whites to have that though so it is not totally foolproof. If white eyed is in the mix, they often will produce the white throat when split to white.

Yes dark pied and split to white are different. I was just saying that they can look the same but are NOT the same thing. Dark pied is a bird split to pied. From breeding a pied to a pied you will get 50% pied peachicks, 25% dark pied peachicks, and 25% white peachicks. That is why I really like pied peafowl. You can get three different varieties from one variety.

Quote:
Incorrect - dark pieds are not split to white. They can look similar, but are very genetically different

A regular pied bird carries one copy of the white gene and one copy of the pied gene.

Dark pieds carry two copies of the pied gene and no copies of the white gene. Breeding a pair of dark pieds would only result in dark
pied offspring. Ideally to get the most pied offspring from a dark pied parent is to breed it to a white bird.

A "split to white" bird carries a single copy of the white gene. Breeding a pair of these birds would result in offspring of the
following - white, split to white, and blue.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Quote:
Incorrect - dark pieds are not split to white. They can look similar, but are very genetically different

A regular pied bird carries one copy of the white gene and one copy of the pied gene.

Dark pieds carry two copies of the pied gene and no copies of the white gene. Breeding a pair of dark pieds would only result in dark
pied offspring. Ideally to get the most pied offspring from a dark pied parent is to breed it to a white bird.

A "split to white" bird carries a single copy of the white gene. Breeding a pair of these birds would result in offspring of the
following - white, split to white, and blue.

Hope this helps!

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom