Pied?

Pavo Royale

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
Gainesville, GA
This guy has always had some faint white on his shoulders. Is he pied? And is the hen purple? Thanks, Mitch.

36168_dsc04936.jpg
36168_dsc04935.jpg

Thanks, Deerman. Do some IB's have some white on their shoulders when they are young? I know it does not look anything like the pied on eggbid which has much brighter white.

The two IB are white eyed too. The girl on left is already starting to show the silvery-gray color of adult white eyed hens.

The white on him may be a white eyed thing, or may be a funny side effect of being split white, pied or dark pied. Can't tell without knowing what his parents are.

Pied chicks are born very clearly pied, with very well defined patches and swirls of white on the down. They also feather out in pied pattern immediately.

OK. The more I think, the worse my confusion gets. We know the dad is split to purple becaues the mom would be purple if she had even one of those genes. And, the dad is sprouting eye feathers now, and they are not white, so far (he is two going on three, so this is his first year with them and they are just now peeking out). So, where did the white eye gene come from? Can/will an adult with the WE pattern look normal IB since Kev was able to spot it in the chicks? From what I understand (which is not much), this hatch gives no indication of what the hen is split to, and, not only are both of my birds split, at least one of them also carries the white eye gene, right?.

This is just very interesting to me. And to think I was disappointed that they were split when I got them!

36168_penelope.jpg

36168_pavo_piscasso.jpg

Well I see white flight on both, so these two could be split , white,pied, or that could be W.E.

Thing about white eye, its co dom. so only one bird needs to be white eye. niether of the two are white eye.

Myself I wait untill must later to count them white eye. Unless I know their background. Remember also all Silver pied are white eye.

So if you cross silver pied with pure blue ,some chicks will be white eye

Yes you male is split purple, so any purple chicks from him and a blue hen will be FEMALES.

Yes the white on your peachick , would say its split. but not pied.

Those two chicks are white eyed, I am extremely familiar with the white eyed gene. Done a lot of work and crossing with them for many years.

White eyed is dominant or co-dominant.. although how it looks varies in a cross. Some birds will look barely different from a blue(so this answers your question- yes he can look normal blue as adult), while others will show quite a good bit of white eye characteristics. That girl is a rather nice example of how a white eyed hen looks, the greyish tint with the sugar frosted look. The male chick looks a little more blue, but I recognize the sugar frosted look on his wings and back.. that is why I say these two are white eyed.

The adult peahen shows none of the white eyed characteristics. I do see a possible slight "sugar frosting" on the barred area on his wing. I have had many males where the only white eyed character they showed was a slight sugar frosting on this area.. easy to miss if one were not aware or looked that closely.

Amount and size of "white eyes" on tail also varies. On one end, it can be on every eye, on other end, just one or two or even none.. Again on one end a lot of the white eyes can be really big.. or very tiny (a single bird can even have white eyes of all sizes). Will just have to wait until he fully matures and grows a full tail to see how much and what size white eyes he will(or might not) have.

You got it right about purple- the (adult) hen is not(and does not have) purple. Since she doesn't seem to show anything associated with white eyed, I would think it is the male that is white eyed and split for purple.

As for white flights, you will just have to hatch more chicks.. if any come out solid white then both parents are split white. If no white chicks show up after hatching more than 10 chicks total, then they probably are something like dark pied. You would find out much faster by putting a white hen in there but that would test out only the male..

Back
Top Bottom