Pied?

That was kinda ambigious.. what did you mean by that? Your male also shows white in his flights. So he can be split for white or a dark pied too on top of being split purple, proven by that one purple chick.

Birds are not limited to being split for one thing only, if that's what you were thinking?

A single bird can be split for several genes.. a male peacock can be split for white, black shoulder, purple and be heterozygous for white eyed..

If you know what the parents of this pair were, why not tell us..

Last edited:
No, I didn't have a clue that the bird could be split to purple and another color, but a pattern, yes. I thought the mystery of the male had been solved. I know nothing about the ancestry of these birds. This is not a test. This is just my stupid self trying to figure out what I have for the sake of interest.

No not stupid at all. Genetics is very hard for a lot of people to get the hang of at first. Keep at it, even if it seems very confusing or you get frustrated at times. I had to go through this phase myself..

I think you knew this already, males can be split for a sex linked gene like Purple. Your male proved to be a purple split by the existence of his purple daughter.

The hen doesn't show any white eyed characterstics in that picture and the male seems to(the frosting on wing), that is why my guess the chicks got white eyed from him. So he is heterozygous for white eyed, most likely.. unless all further babies seem to be white eyed (it is slightly harder to see on other colors like purple, unless they show white eyes or random white feathers on hens)

The male also shows white, so he is either split white or pied.

Basically my guess is that the hen is normal blue split for pied or white.. the male is white eyed split for purple and either white or pied.

While adding a white will give "results" much faster, you will be able to eventually figure it out with just this pair by hatching many more chicks. For example, if you hatch 20 chicks and a few turn out solid white, it means it's very possible that both parents are split whites. Problem solved, without involving a white..

OK... so can 2 loud pied parents produce an IB chick?

or for that matter if one parent is loud pied and the other IB would the chick be IB?

Also,
how old do loud pied chicks need to be to be sexed?

I was trying to get info on loud pied peas from the internet yesterday, and the only (relevant!!!) hits were this website!!!

You guys are so great

Quote:
Yes.. although those would be genetically pure pied. They will look IB, with varying amounts of white in flights/chin. These are the original "Dark Pied" term birds. Nowadays just about any bird with small amount of white get called Dark Pied though(even when not pure pied).

Quote:
All chicks would look IB. Half will be split white, half will be split pied.

Sexing is same as for IB or BS, as long as the bird has colored areas on the right areas- on back, neck wings etc. Really loud pieds(tons of white) or silver pieds with less color than average can be harder to sex, although usually doesn't take as long as pure whites.

Last edited:
OK, Kev, here goes...

AS I see it, which may not be correct, there are two loci for color genes, one one the "color chromosome", if I may, and one on the sex chromosome. Any allel on the sex chromosome of a hen is dominate to the others, thus resulting in phenotypic display of that character while only one of those allels are present (my purple hen). The males must be homozygous on the sex chromosome loci for that trait to be evident and in fact . If a male is het at the sex chromosome loci, then will he exhibit white if he is pure IB otherwise? The colors accociated with the sex chromosome are puple, peach and oaten?? And, do pure blue birds lack genes opn this loci?

Can you describe the possible genotypes for the color chromosome and what colors are controlled here? I think that the pied genes are here and probabily green??? And, why can't a bird be split green? codominance????

I have neglected to mention the pattern genes intentionally. For now!

The more I dig, the more question I have! If I am annoying you, please let me know.

Quote:
A bird that is "split green" is spalding, isn't it? It just won't produce "pure" green offspring because as soon as it's split anything it won't produce "pure" green.
Basically, a real java (100% green) bred to an other color will produce spaldings... (not 100% green) which are "split green."
Right?

I think when referring to something as split, it continues to resemble the wild type (blue) with slight differences like white flight feathers. A split trait is "hidden" and can be passed down in its pure form as in my purple hen who is completely purple looking. A spalding is a mixture of blue and green colors on the bird and you can never get a pure blue or a pure green from them.

Last edited:
Spaldings can be split to other colors like opal, reason they dont breed true, some take after the blue side ,others thake after the green side.

Oaten is old name for Cameo blackshoulder, and Only the Cameo is carried on sex chromosome, not the blackshoulder.

Spalding are not split green, as the green will show in the first cross. The term split, means the bird is carring a color hidden.

Even birds split to blackshoulder pattern, can show small area on the bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom