Pig people, Need help with cheap feeder ideas

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
we are thinking about getting 2 weaner pigs to grow for the freezer. I don't want to send a fortune on feeders etc, so I need ideas on cheap homemade type feeder. Please post pictures if possible. Also need help with housing. Could use pictures of good housing ideas for just two pigs. We are totally new to this so any help would be nice. We are reading Storey's guide to raising pigs, but it seems to miss the info for how to build a small pig house. They have big ones though. I'm just a visual person and am kinda having a hard time visualizing what they are explaining.

Also, what is the best kind of lean pig to get?

Well the cheapest feeder and waters I've found are 55gal plastic barrels cut in half. As far as housing goes they don't need a great big pen prob only 10'x15' just gotta make sure that the fence is buried under the ground about a 12" should be good as they grow they'll dig the dirt up and have a habit of digging under fences!

When we had our pig, we just bought those rubber bowls from agway. They are heavy duty and black and there are all different sizes. At the time our goats and pig were together and we just fed them in separate bowls. That worked fine for us and the bowl was something the pig couldn't BREAK!

I just used a dog feeder that you fill from the top. If you have two pigs then get two feeders. They will hog the feeder if you just have one. I placed the feeder so I could fill it from the outside of the pen. I also used hog pannels attached to the inside of the T post. There shelter was a horse shelter that we converted to house the pigs. They had pallets to get on top of when the weather was wet. If you want I can get a pic.

I was haveing the same issues....when I got my pig. Well...after talking to my 69 yr old mother, ( she knows everything)
wink.png
She instructed me on how to build a trough.

Take a 1x10 or 1 x 12, for the bottom. With 2 pigs, about 3 or 4 ft long will do.
Then get 2 more 1 x 10's, same length...and 2 pieces for the ends. You will want to nail ( or screw) the front board at an angle, and the back board straight up. This way you can mount it to a few 4x4 posts to keep it off the ground. Basically, a rectangle box. Think of the movie, Charlottes Web. Remember the trough?
PigEating08.jpg

Thats what I did, but will have to make mine bigger, as he is outgrown it already.When you plave the 4x4 in the ground, just make sure they are burried DEEP! They love to root, and will dig up anything. I tried the pan...rubber dish, but he would toss it around. So, he has a small swimming pool for water, and a trough for feed.
As for the shelter....we had a 5ft square crate...I covered it with a tarp to keep him dry. Believe it or not, they DO like to be clean...mine has fresh straw every few days in his crate.
PiginCrate08.jpg

Do I spoil him? Probably. But, considering he has a pretty short life expectancy, he deserves the best.

We are also planning on getting two feeder pigs this year. I heard if you have someone put a ring in their nose they won't dig under there pen/panels. Does anyone know if this really works and does it hurt them?

Putting the rings in their noses DOES hurt. Thats why it stops them from digging. In my opinion, I wont do that to mine. Construct your fences well...and throw a few bowling balls in there to keep them happy. They LOVE to roll around the bowling balls. Pigs will root....thats what they do. They need to dig in the mud...to cover themselves from the sun and the heat. When I see my pig getting restless...I throw in a few ears of feed corn. Keeps him busy, and happy. I have only had my pig for a week now...but with all the help from my mother
old.gif
seems he is doing well. Even after the castration. ( Dont forget to get them clipped)
wink.png

The nose ring does work, but to me it seems cruel. Rooting was never a problem for us and it's a natural thing they like to do. Of course, to each his own, but as long as your pen is properly built, their rooting should not be a problem. Plus, the grass will eventually grow back after they are slaughtered.
smile.png

I have been trying to get hubby to agree to letting me get a couple pigs for slaughter this year, but he dosent want them, cause he says they smeel. I had planned on putting them on the property border, which runs directly behind my Nasty neighbors house, now he seems more inclined!!
lau.gif
lau.gif

Critter Crazy....I was reading on a pig web site, cant remember where tho....they said, the more table scraps you feed your pig, the smellier they will be. Thier poo will be more like a septic tank. UGH! Mine does get a few things from the kitchen...but with just me and DH here...we try not to waste anything. I guess once it warms up, he will smell....but every animal has a smell. Putting them my the nasty neighbors sounds like a great idea....just watch they dont feed your pigs something toxic.

Back
Top Bottom