Pig Question - Rupture?

boilerjoe_96

Songster
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
West Lafayette, IN
My piggies are about 65 lbs now...

I have 2 white ones, 1 boy(well was a boy) and 1 girl. When asked which was which I looked under and figured it out.

Well now the girl looks exactly like the boy underneath. She had a protusion maybe golf ball sized in the same location as boy parts(yes I am sure it is not a boy). I felt it and the mass itself is like a half a golf ball and firm/hard to the touch.

Is this a rupture? Will it hurt anything?

Other than that the pig seems to be eating and playing and growing.

Last year we had a pig that had a hurniated(spelled wrong I know....) belly button...

When she was in the barn for a few days it didn't seem to bother her. When I opened the doors for them to be outside the thing actually got smaller. Don't know why or how, but with being able to go outside freely, it seemed to go away.
The day they went to butcher, you couldn't even tell she originally had a hurnia.

I wouldn't use her for breeding.

hope that helps a little...
Shawna

maybe a internal abscess... i dont know..

how is she peeing??

is there a puncture wound where that bump is? it can be really small, like the size of a needle,, or straw hay..

is there anything that could have poked her? sticks, thorns etc?

if shes still ok then thats good! is she tame? could u put some ice on it to see if swelling goes down?

is it hard or mushy?

also,, maybe some anitbiotics

Quote:
ur right. umbilical hernia... very common.. in goats, livestock, sheep cows pigs etc.

but is it located on ur pig where the umbilical cord is?

Definitely sounds like a umbilical hernia. Depending on what is poking through the opening in the stomach wall (perineum) it could be very serious or not so serious.
While it is true that umbilical hernias can resolve themselves, this usually only occurs in cases where there is fat protruding from the hernia. The seriousness is if there is a loop of intestine coming through the opening.
Exercise can strengthen the muscles around the abdomen and help close the hernia.
If the hernia proceeds to grow I would consider having a vet close it up.
Good luck and keep us posted!

It is firm to hard(the mass underneath...) I can't really tell looking under the pig if it is boy or girl(should tell you location on mass). I believe this is umbillical cord area.

These are feeders...so it won't be bred. It is not technically my pig. I am raising for someone, they are paying for food and care... So I doubt they want a vet to fix it...

Shouldn't be any sticks or thorns around I will check out the area visually tonight. So far I have just felt. I will look for punctures. Ice? well she is friendly but not sure that friendly. I will see how she is peeing too.....

This one went outside about 3 weeks ago was fine inside and fien outside. I just noticed in the past few days(maybe a week).

I will advise what I find tonight...

It does sound like an umbilical hernia. It dogs, it really isn't harmful. I don't know about pigs, because they get so big. You may just call a large animal vet and see if it is necessary to do anything or not. It will probably be fine.

Back
Top Bottom