Pig skins....Help

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by robot rooster, Jan 23, 2011.

1. robot rooster

robot rooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    So I just got one of my hogs back from the butcher and I asked him to save the skins for me. As a child I remember driving home from the beach and getting home made pork rinds, they were crunchy and very good.

My question: How in the world do I make these things crunchy? I have baked them, still tough. Fried them, can't even bite into them...[​IMG]

What next?

Thanks.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

CRACKLINS! Pig skin with a thin layer of fat, deep fried, hard as a rock! Ate a TON as a kid! [​IMG] For pork rinds, remove the skin & fry the fat in thin strips. [​IMG]

3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

then break into bite size pieces and make cracking corn bread. There is no recipe for southern corn bread you know, you eyeball it If you don't know how to make corn bread, let me know and i can try to talk you through it. You would just add a few handfulls of cracklings to the cornbread batter and bake as usual. yum...flung a craving on me!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have no idea how to make them, but I think I saw Paula Deen make some a few years ago. Check www.foodnetwork.com

And if you need a taste tester, I volunteer! [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Oooooo yeah, that's some good southern cooking! [​IMG]

6. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    I heard that making pork rinds the pigs skin needs to be fully dehydrated first, and they are like hard little nuggets. You toss them into hot oil and they are suppossed to expand, much like popcorn. Sorry, that's all I really know though [​IMG]

7. robot rooster

robot rooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    This is some much needed info! So what I am understanding is I need to trim the fat from the skin and cook the fat to make cracklin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by