PIG Stampede!?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Indiana hens, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Ok, I hope not! I am wanting to move pigs from the next door neighbors. I don't know if this is actually a cattle drive? Can't get GF to dust off her saddle and ride them. I've seen them move pigs at the fair ; sure looks easy! Just 2 of them so I was thinking about skipping their breakfast and luring them with slop in the evening? Anybody do this?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i think with pigs food ALWAYS works!...[​IMG]

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't think you even need to skip their breakfast - a steady supply of treats should keep them moving... [​IMG]

4. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Be prepared for a chase...I would presonally either get them into a trailor and haul them (even it it's the neighbors) or get some fencing and move one at a time. You can make a little corral type thing that when the fence hits the pigs butt he moves--or is suppose too...I seen it on dirty jobs one time..I think it's just hog panel or something. when moving the pig the fencing is more as a guide for where you want the pig to go. are these big pigs or piglets??
    Treats are always a plus, but I would still prepare for a chase...

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Its not a fun thing to do. I moved mine a few feet and it took 30 minutes to get them in the trailer. I was alone and only had a bucket of food. They ran around for awhile and finally got in the trailer. They can run fast and do alot of damage in a few minutes. Haul them if you can.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    My pig is friendly and would follow someone she knows to the ends of the earth for fresh milk...

(Favorite foods always work.)

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    in 4H you learn to move them with a staff, they actually get kind of trained to do it which may be what you see at the auction. Pigs are smart, if they see the opportunity they will bolt. I agree with loading them onto a trailer or if you can get enough people with panels to surround each one at a time to move them.

8. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I had to move mine about 100 feet. She was about 80lbs at the time. Well I made a harness out of a lead rope. And Held her so she could only go forward well my boyfriend lured her with cottage cheese. Looking back I might have tried to but the rope behind her bottom to help get her moving. It took a little bit of time. A step a bite of cottage cheese. Then wait, finally a step again. Haul them if you can!!

9. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Hauling them wins!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by