Pigeon Bulletin Board?

How small of a hole can pigeons fit through (i.e. what type of wire do I need to use on a pigeon loft)?
The loft(where they stay at night) must be secured from predators using something like 1/2" hardware cloth. For their outside aviary and daytime use you can go with something larger, but 1"x1" wire is very good. For the flight pen I bought a dog kennel with steel wire openings about 2x4 inches. I hope this helps.:)

The loft(where they stay at night) must be secured from predators using something like 1/2" hardware cloth. For their outside aviary and daytime use you can go with something larger, but 1"x1" wire is very good. For the flight pen I bought a dog kennel with steel wire openings about 2x4 inches. I hope this helps.:)
Thanks. That's actually what I was wondering - whether or not I could use my extra 10'x10' dog kennels for anything.

Thanks. That's actually what I was wondering - whether or not I could use my extra 10'x10' dog kennels for anything.
A pigeon keeper that I purchased some pigeons from in the past had an aviary, similar size as your dog kennel, attached to a 8 x 10 shed. The kennel had chain-link wire fence stretched over the top. He kept varying amount of birds, but could handle 100. There was open access between aviary and shed.

A pigeon keeper that I purchased some pigeons from in the past had an aviary, similar size as your dog kennel, attached to a 8 x 10 shed. The kennel had chain-link wire fence stretched over the top. He kept varying amount of birds, but could handle 100. There was open access between aviary and shed.
These are my options. I have two 10'x10' dog kennels that aren't being used right now. They're covered. I used to have waterfowl in them (I move them around the grass, so they always have fresh grass and I don't have to clean pens). I also have about 1/3 of an acre fenced in 2"x4" horse no-climb fencing and a 4'x8' dog house that we built years ago that isn't being used anymore. I have a 50'x75' (I think) net that I had plans for, but then never used. I'm trying to decide if I should set that netting up or maybe it would be too much space and I'd never be able to catch any birds.

These are my options. I have two 10'x10' dog kennels that aren't being used right now. They're covered. I used to have waterfowl in them (I move them around the grass, so they always have fresh grass and I don't have to clean pens). I also have about 1/3 of an acre fenced in 2"x4" horse no-climb fencing and a 4'x8' dog house that we built years ago that isn't being used anymore. I have a 50'x75' (I think) net that I had plans for, but then never used. I'm trying to decide if I should set that netting up or maybe it would be too much space and I'd never be able to catch any birds.

Your pigeons should go into their loft at night and you should be able to close them in. Catching them when they are inside is the way to go. Are you planning to fly your birds? Are you getting homers or another kind? Do you have some already?

Your pigeons should go into their loft at night and you should be able to close them in. Catching them when they are inside is the way to go. Are you planning to fly your birds? Are you getting homers or another kind? Do you have some already?

Homers. I'm using them to train my dogs, so they'll fly. I don't have any yet, but found some squeakers fairly close to me.

I think the 10x10 flight pen attached to a secure loft would make a good set up. You will have to loft fly some and train them to return from however far away you do your dog training. I'm assuming they are not harmed during training and are expected to return home when released....:)

I think the 10x10 flight pen attached to a secure loft would make a good set up. You will have to loft fly some and train them to return from however far away you do your dog training. I'm assuming they are not harmed during training and are expected to return home when released....:)
Most of the training I'll be doing at home, but some might be a little farther away.

No, birds aren't harmed during training. They're planted and then you use them to teach the dogs to hold steady after they're flushed (fly away). If you were really hunting, the birds would be shot and retrieved. But we don't hunt pigeons. :)

Most of the training I'll be doing at home, but some might be a little farther away.

No, birds aren't harmed during training. They're planted and then you use them to teach the dogs to hold steady after they're flushed (fly away). If you were really hunting, the birds would be shot and retrieved. But we don't hunt pigeons. :)
Sounds like you're going to have a nice setup :) would love some pics!!!

Back
Top Bottom