Pigeon Bulletin Board?

I released 25 birds at a 50th wedding anniversary yesterday.
They all returned safe and sound.
This is a picture of the younger birds when they were trap training.
We may have only had 25 birds but in fact we did have 50 wings.

Pigeon offspring.jpg

I had two squabs hatch recently. One squab was bigger than the other.
This is a normal occurrence and in most cases is not a problem.
In this case the larger squab was getting the lion share of attention from the new parents. The younger squab was getting little to no food, was weak, it's crop was empty and was sure to die. I had to take action in some form.
I did a squab swap from another nest at that point I had nothing to loose.
This paring only had a single squab to begin with and was getting preferential treatment.
Problem solved! Now the new twin squabs are the same size.
Things have been progressing smoothly in both nest.
Just would like to remind fanciers to check on your squabs daily or as often as possible to be on the look out for splayed leg, growth problems, full crops, and a variety of issues.
By handling healthy squabs you develop a trained eye to spot abnormal development. You are doing your flock a favour and at the same time becoming a wiser pigeon fancier.
It will definitely cut down on your squab mortality rate.

Last edited:
In this case the larger squab was getting the lion share of attention from the new parents. The younger squab was getting little to no food and was sure to die.
I did a squab swap from another nest.
This paring only had a single squab to begin with.
Just would like to remind fanciers to check on your squabs daily or as much as possible to be on the look out for splayed leg, growth problems, full crops, and a variety of issues.
By handling healthy squabs you develop a trained eye to spot abnormal development. You are doing your flock a favour and at the same time becoming a wiser pigeon fancier.
It will definitely cut down on your mortality rate.
:goodpost:

In this case the larger squab was getting the lion share of attention from the new parents. The younger squab was getting little to no food, was weak, it's crop was empty and was sure to die. I had to take action in some form.
I did a squab swap from another nest at that point I had nothing to loose.
This paring only had a single squab to begin with and was getting preferential treatment.
Just would like to remind fanciers to check on your squabs daily or as often as possible to be on the look out for splayed leg, growth problems, full crops, and a variety of issues.
It will definitely cut down on your squab mortality rate.
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you got things worked out. You are right on checking in your squabs everyday. I recently lost one to me not checking on it in a day and a half. I wasn't worried due to it being with experienced parents. One can never be to careful with pigeons.

A young feral pigeon came into my loft yesterday. I usually scare this type of bird off and do not let it mix with my flock. However something about this particular bird that made me think of one of the fist pigeons I owned
JacKson he traveled 719 miles home after almost a year being held prisoner.

View attachment 1817126

I will post a picture of my new arrival hopefully today.
In a perfect world I plan on keeping her.
I will name her Julia after Stonewall Jackson's daughter.
I wholeheartedly approve! Interloper has been a very positive addition to my flock. Her first 2 offspring are just as cute and smart as mom. The young cockbird has claimed a top roost and successfully defended it. The little hen has been spotted and is being pursued by one of my 2 bachelor cocks. They hatched Mar 28 - still so young !

Can't wait to see a pic of Julia. :caf

A young feral pigeon came into my loft yesterday. I usually scare this type of bird off and do not let it mix with my flock. However something about this particular bird that made me think of one of the fist pigeons I owned
JacKson he traveled 719 miles home after almost a year being held prisoner.

View attachment 1817126

I will post a picture of my new arrival hopefully today.
In a perfect world I plan on keeping her.
I will name her Julia after Stonewall Jackson's daughter.
can't wait to see a picture!

sometime you need to share the whole story of Jackson. :)

Back
Top Bottom