Pigeon Bulletin Board?

Still hoping and expecting Julia's safe return.:fl
Well it has been close to 72 hours now that Julia has been missing.
Even if she did return I fear she would not be much of a homing pigeon.
As the refrain in an old song goes
"Summer time and the leaving is easy".
I will just have to be patient and see what the future holds.
I have had feral pigeons return to my loft when food became scarce.

In hind sight
I should have began her training after I had paired her with a mate.

Then too it could be possible she was picked off by a hawk. The pigeons were scattered and did arrive at different times no two together.

Last edited:
The evening fly was working well for me it was too good to last.
Do you think ,,,, switching to mornings, for a bit may throw off the hawks schedule.:idunno
I used to observe the hawks' schedule when they would fly overhead, hang around for a short while, and then keep going. Those by my house seemed to have a regular route they would do each day. They alway came from a certain direction, and flew off into their regularly followed direction.

@biophiliac I'm sure you seen this vid, as you follow Maneys' YouTube. :thumbsup
Do your pigeons jump into your lap like Maneys' young ones do in this video???
It is also note,, that he does release them hungry. At first I thought that there was feed in the blue container on floor. Further viewing indicated that it is grit he keeps in that one.

BTW You and I will only be 40 miles apart this Thursday , the 4th. Family get together at DD's home on Lake Sinissippi. Was there Sunday and took this beautiful sunset pix.
IMG_20190630_201338017_HDR.jpg

If you will be outdoors,,, you just may be able to hear some of my beautiful music coming across on the wind:highfive:
Maybe in the future, I can release your pigeons for a 40 mile toss from this point. :thumbsup

Do your pigeons jump into your lap like Maneys' young ones do in this video?
Doo, my hand fed bird, did that - begging to be fed. (If you haven't seen all of his vids - those two were hand fed by Maney since about 10days old when the daddy cockbird went missing and the hen couldn't keep up.) He still, even today, lands on my head when I go in the aviary. Now he doesn't expect to be fed, I guess it's just a greeting or he's showing off to his mates.:confused:. A few minutes ago I was out there with a handful of peanuts and several will land on my arm or lap to get the treat, more just cluster around my feet waiting their turn.:)

That's a gorgeous spot for your family on July 4th. I'll be listening for your tunes!:D

It's the training aspect that I admit to neglecting, never even fly them hungry but they still come back. Lol If I ever get around to tosses I will be working with some mature and very well settled birds.

Last edited:
Yes I was thinking that exact thing. I was considering before feeding. That way they may not linger out all day and come in straight away after a quick stretch of their wings.
That sounds like a good plan. I have been trying to change up the flight times to avoid a pattern for the hawks to notice.

Sorry about Julia @Hokum Coco . It's never easy to lose a bird.
One thing I learned about a feral pigeon. Just when you given up hope and you think they are lost.
BACK THEY COME.

I have not written her off by no means.

On another note.
I seen a beauty feral pigeon today in the park a female brown with white flights.
She looked in perfect health.
This image is comparable in lots of ways but really does not come close to it's particular feral pigeon's beauty. I have a mind to trap her and mate her with one of mine but I will not.
In another life I definitely would have.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom