Pigeon cage size?

Machoman6666

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2023
I’m planning to use two dog crates and combine them to form one long cage for pigeons. Each of the dog crates are 36x24x25”. When I combine them to form one big cage they will be about 72” long.

Is a cage that is 72” long, 24” deep and 25” tall big enough?

I originally wanted to have pigeons occupy a 6x6x6ft aviary but if they pooped on the stone pavers, it would be difficult to scrape off their poop. My new plan is to have the pigeons in a large cage inside the 6x6x6ft aviary. Their cage will have a wire bottom and their poop will fall into the newspaper lined tray pan.

I hope this size of cage (72x24x25”) is not cruel for pigeons.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I’ve heard stone pavers recommended many times for aviaries, I believe it’s more effective to hose them off rather than scrape. You say you want the pigeons to be in a cage inside the aviary, will they ever get let out of the cage? A cage that size isn’t enough room for a pigeon unless they’re regularly being let out of it.

I’ve heard stone pavers recommended many times for aviaries, I believe it’s more effective to hose them off rather than scrape. You say you want the pigeons to be in a cage inside the aviary, will they ever get let out of the cage? A cage that size isn’t enough room for a pigeon unless they’re regularly being let out of it.
I agree 100%. I’ll let the pigeon have the space and freedom of living in an aviary that is 6x6x6ft. Unfortunately I can’t spray water on the stone pavers because over time the surrounding wooden frame will get mold. My only option is to scrape.

Can I still use a scraper that has become dull to scrape poop off stone pavers? Or do I have to keep changing the blade?

I agree 100%. I’ll let the pigeon have the space and freedom of living in an aviary that is 6x6x6ft. Unfortunately I can’t spray water on the stone pavers because over time the surrounding wooden frame will get mold. My only option is to scrape.
I’m a bit confused, are they going to be living in the cage or the aviary? Or is the cage just for them to sleep in? My aviary is set up so one end has a wire roof while the other end is covered and has more perches. The pigeons all sleep in the covered part. If I wanted to put in flooring that I didn’t want to scrape, I would put sand in that part of the aviary. Can you try something like that?

Also, back when I was planning to make my aviary out of wood I was going to paint it with a sealant to stop the wood from rotting. Is that an option?

I’m a bit confused, are they going to be living in the cage or the aviary? Or is the cage just for them to sleep in? My aviary is set up so one end has a wire roof while the other end is covered and has more perches. The pigeons all sleep in the covered part. If I wanted to put in flooring that I didn’t want to scrape, I would put sand in that part of the aviary. Can you try something like that?

Also, back when I was planning to make my aviary out of wood I was going to paint it with a sealant to stop the wood from rotting. Is that an option?
The pigeons will be living free inside a 6x6x6ft aviary. I am abandoning the “cage inside an aviary” concept.

I’m stuck if I should have stone pavers on the ground (which I would scrape off with a floor scraper) or sand on the ground (which I can sift through with a rake). Which one is better?

The pigeons will be living free inside a 6x6x6ft aviary. I am abandoning the “cage inside an aviary” concept.

I’m stuck if I should have stone pavers on the ground (which I would scrape off with a floor scraper) or sand on the ground (which I can sift through with a rake). Which one is better?
I don’t know. I don’t have either at this point (I currently have a dirt floor, which isn’t ideal because rats can dig into it). How many pigeons are you planning to have?

That sounds good, avoiding overcrowding really helps keep things clean.
If I use sand as the bedding is there a likelihood that worms or parasites will thrive in the sand? I would like to mention that there would be a solid rubber liner underneath the sand. The sand won’t touch bare soil.

Back
Top Bottom