pigeon eggs

sharebear29

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 31, 2011
I have another stupid "newbie" question.

I have one set of pigeons that have successful hatched two babies.

I have another pair setting on eggs in the nest boxes. She's on the very bottom and I'm not sure when she started sitting - but I suspect it's been long enough they may not hatch.

A few days ago I found another egg on the ground in the loft. it wasn't broken or anything...but was not in a nest just laying there., I picked it up and put it in one of the boxes....hoping the parents would either find it....or lay another one in a different box and I'd add this one to that nest.

Anyway....I just went out and found another egg...again on the ground not in a nest...just laying there. This one is right outside of where the one pigeon is sitting on her eggs.

Now...i don't know what to do. Nothing? Should I put these eggs under the other pigeons whose eggs MAY not hatch. If her's don't then these might...but if hers do idk what will become of these.

any other suggestions? Should I just take these eggs out of the loft?

I'm just getting started in these and want to get some babies so I can start flying them when old enough. But I want to do what is best for the birds.

Thank you.

Sounds like you may have a lesbian pair of birds. I am saying this because I have a lesbian pair and have gone through something similar.

I would let the nesting pair set on the eggs. There may be an outside chance one of the eggs may be fertile but I doubt it.

I think you maybe in need of some male pigeons. My educated guess.

Last edited:
hmmmmmm. never thought about that. I really don't know if they're male or female. One pair successfully hatched one set of babies....so I have at least one male/one female. I know there is always a bird on the other nest....not sure if it's the same bird or if they're changing off. Don't know if they're both female or male/female.

Interesting point....I'd never thought of.

Thank you.

One thing I definitely sure of if it lays an egg it is female when it comes to pigeons LOL. I made just about every mistake imaginable when pairing pigeons but that is the one true constant.

After 5 days you could take away the lesbians eggs and give your lesbian pair the hatched squabs and they (in most cases) will serve as foster parents to them.

It is best to wait the 5 day window to insure the squabs receive the pigeon milk from the birth parents.

This will in turn will put your breeding pair on eggs again in about 10 days. Something you may want to ponder.

It is not without risk I might add.

Last edited:
id say if it happens again to put all four eggs under her, then after a week candle them. my one pair of gay sis birds are great fosters, and do the job as well as any opposite sex pair. you can poly breed your hens to the one cock, if that is all you have.

Last edited:
something to think about if it was two hens mated they would both lay in there nest not in different places and at different times also pairs with babies will start a second nest while raiseing the first two nest per pair is recomended i would check for fertile eggs scince you do not know when the pair in question started the first set

Back
Top Bottom