"Pigeon Experts" Dead Babies **Need Advice**

Feathered Wings

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Georgia
I have a pair of Blue Bar Figurita's i have had them about 3 months.
They laid and sat on one egg it hatched no problem and is now fully feathered and on his own.
Sorry i use to keep hatch dates on my pigeons but as i have so many now it became to big of a task.
The ages will be approximate not exact on the babies.

The next 2 babies were hatched i'm saying week and a half ago at first things went well.
But about 2 days after the hatch i found one on that morning dead crop full still warm to the touch but dead.
I cleaned out the nest yesterday and put in new straw i always have to change the straw a few times.
The poop just gets messy and too wet so i replace it and none of my pigeons and doves have ever minded me doing this.
I didn't go back and check on them in the evening like i usually do.

This morning the Baby was Dead crop full warm to the touch but a little flattened.
He wasn't a new hatchling he had no feathers he was at that big naked stage right before the feathers start comeing in.
I have never had a baby pigeon die at this age before
idunno.gif

I'm just confused it is very warm here at night so i would think if he wasn't covered by the parents he would be okay ???

It doesn't sound like canker his crop still had food in it and he was not emaciated like when they have canker.

Could the parents have stomped him to death being upset over the nest change??

Just Bad Parents??

Any Help would greatly be appreaciated

Last edited:
Not sure why they died, maybe to cold , or other fighting over nest box. One thing when I find one that died at a young age (less than 7 days) they do look flat. Remember just like chicks, at that age they need 90 degree temp. If the mother didnt cover them at night,could be the reason they died.

Is there anyway you can seperate this pair and give them a cage of their own for the next clutch?
I did this with my new Satinettes as I didnt want them in general population because I want true babys,
I have them in a cage the size of a small parrot cage, with a nest box, material etc.
I find its much easier to keep a pair of troublesome parents inside so I can monitor their actions, and can intervene if necessary.
If they still fail 2 clutch while inside there is something going on that shouldnt be and I get rid of the pair. ( this does notmean I sell them to unsuspecting buyers. )
I have had to do this with a couple pairs of Kings and a pair of Russian Tumblers,
Inside clutches were successful so I knew somethng was going wrong in the coop. It could be something as simple as thievery of a nest, fighting over nesting, or any 100 reasons they deem necessary.

Try them inside and see what happens. Hopefuly everything will work its self out, Good Luck.

My fantails laid all winter and I would take the eggs cause it was just too cold I thought. This summer one of two eggs hatched from one of the hens and it was a cute thing. But a few days later it was dead. I think they were trying too hatch the other egg and suffocated the one that had been in the nest box for a few days. Should I have taken the other egg out after a few days too keep this from happening? What you use for bedding in the coop? I had wheat straw during the winter but they wouldn't leave it be. Had too work and get it all too the back of the cage so this summer I have wood chips and they do the same thing, so mostly the boards I have across the bottom stays messy all the time. I can't figure out what they like too eat the best besides corn, and I have heard not too feed them that in the summer because it builds up too much heat. I have the pellets and I have pigeon food that has the peas, popcorn and other grains in it.

Back
Top Bottom