Pigeon help

Iownmuscovies

Songster
May 26, 2018
my dad found an injured pigeon and he thinks it’s around 2-3 months old and it has a few problems with its back and tail because it got attacked by Ferrell cats and he is going to bring it to our house in a box tomorrow so we can care for it until it gets better and set it free. I need help with what it should eat. We only have duck pellets, could a pigeon eat duck pellets? And if so how often should I feed it and how many times a day and how much food should I give it

my dad found an injured pigeon and he thinks it’s around 2-3 months old and it has a few problems with its back and tail because it got attacked by Ferrell cats and he is going to bring it to our house in a box tomorrow so we can care for it until it gets better and set it free. I need help with what it should eat. We only have duck pellets, could a pigeon eat duck pellets? And if so how often should I feed it and how many times a day and how much food should I give it
It isn’t gonna stay in the box we have a big nice cage for it to go in by the way

We only have duck pellets, could a pigeon eat duck pellets?
Yes. My main staple is chicken layer pellets. Which is very similar.

Pigeon Feed.jpg

This is one example of pigeon feed which is not available in my area. I do however mix in different grains with my chicken pellets.

I'm not sure what's in duck pellets, but non-medicated chicken layer pellets are fine, because they are usually around 15% protein, and the protein range for pigeons is around 12-18%, with 15% being a nice average. What is it for duck pellets? I know game bird and turkey pellets is 22%, which is too much for pigeons.

So it can eat duck pellets? Ok good, how much should I give it by measuring cups and how many times a day do I feed it

We are saying non-medicated chicken pellets, which have around 15% protein, are ok for pigeons. I don't think anybody said it's smart to feed pigeons duck pellets. I did not know the protein content of duck pellets, but I just browsed around the web and noticed it looks to be around 20% protein. That is more akin to a meat bird, game bird or turkey feed protein content, and I would NOT feed that to pigeons. I think that is too high of a protein content.

I have a pigeon that suddenly appeared! I can can feed it, it flies all over me, it is absolutely beautiful! I treat it monthly just as I do the chickens with Ivermectin but it has crossed toes on the left foot that I have not popsicle tapped bc I have not caged it! It free ranges with chickens & guineas & roost with them at nt! It has an area to take a water bath & dust bath & comes to me when I call it with the name I have given it! I consider it a gift & dont cage it & it is free to go when it wishes although now I hope it doesn’t bc I have fallen in love with it !! I don’t know the sex of it bc I know nothing about pigeons -nothing!! I just wonder if it will try to find a mate or if it is content here with my guineas and chickens !! What sex is my pigeon ! Sorry I know pic is dark

Attachments

• B507B777-7892-4DBF-95A0-06EC7101F722.jpeg
    B507B777-7892-4DBF-95A0-06EC7101F722.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom