Pigeon limping after laying first egg

Bella3

Hatching
Feb 4, 2024
My pigeon laid an egg the day before yesterday and we are awaiting the second egg, however this morning she was limping and was flying weakly, I want to assume this is because the second egg may be pressing on a nerve which is causing her to have these symptoms? I gave her a calcium (with vit d3) tablet orally and soaked her in a warm water bath for about 10 minutes is this enough is there anything else I can do for her? She isn't straining so I don't know if she could possibly be egg bound or not. Any advice is welcome please

Did she lay the egg yet? If not and your timeline is correct then she is probably eggbound. I agree with you both that symptoms are from the egg pinching nerves.

It’s good you gave her a calcium tablet, that is definitely the first step you want to take. I’m not sure on dosage so hopefully someone else can chime in on if you should keep giving them.

At this time you want to limit the pigeon weakly flying around or otherwise getting banged up. Same with handling, you want to be as gentle as possible so the egg does not break inside. I would isolate in a pet carrier or dog crate. Gently soaking the pigeon up to its back in warm water soaks worked great for me the one time I dealt with this, keeping the pigeon indoors if you’re in a cold climate can help, the less energy they have to burn staying warm the better if eggbound.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom