pigeon newbie questions...

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by sniper338, Nov 1, 2015.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    1. Coop - how high does it need to be? What size for small time fun 4ftx4ft and 8ft tall? Nesting boxs on the walls inside?

2. Where do you get homing pigeons? Or how do you trap feral ones?

3. Get adults, let em hatch out young, grow out the young, let them start reproducing, get rid of the original birds.... then they will all know that coop as home.... open the flight door and let em fly?

4. Feed for in the coop?

I just want mutts like the wild ones... i like all the different colors and patterns...

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I have raised many different breeds of pigeons and each had their good points. A big factor is getting them to accept a new home. Very young birds work the best and accept a new home much better than older birds. Wild pigeons can be caught at night without too much problem. You just have to locate a barn, building, bridge where they have made their home. I remember doing this many time as a kid. We ate them.

Consider Indian fantails. They come in a variety of colors, quick to accept a new loft at any age, and do not have the nervousness of regular fantails.

Loft size depends on the breed, number of birds, and personal preference. Indian fantails do not require as much room as many of the other types.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]
    I am subject to -40º temperatures in Canada I house an assortment of birds in this baby barn (¼ inch veneer plywood between birds and elements) no heat no light no problems.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    2 people like this.
  4. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Interesting....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by