Pigeon pair decided to be sneaky: HOLY COW I HAVE BABIES NOW! what do I do?

Alicia G

Songster
9 Years
Sep 29, 2010
Nova Scotia
My pair of pigeons went and had babies on me, the moms a German old and the Dads a frillback. I've just been feeding these guys corn and layer crumble like layer crumb like the guy I got them from said... but what now? The parents favor the corn more dunno why, but can the babies be fed that stuff? Both parents are very healthy and happy.
Any advice would be awesome!
Thanks!

remember to add gravel and grit, if they are not eating a lot of pellets. so then they can grind up enough small and produce enough crop milk (actually a cheese curd like substance), for the new young.

AT THIS AGE THE PARENTS CAN COVER THEM WELL ENOUGH TO KEEP THEM WARM .IT WILL BECOME A PROBLEM WHEN THEY GET BIGGER AND HAVE NOT FEARTHERED OUT WHEN THEY HAVE PIN FEATHERS IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM. I WOULD BRING IN THE HOUSE YOUNG AT THIS AGE AT DARK AND TAKE THEM OUT FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. WATCH THE PARENTS TILL THEY GET BACK ONTHE YOUNG. STILL HAVE LOST SOME IN EXTREME COOLD HERE IN TEXAS .IT CHANGES SO FAST THAT WE TRY NOT TO START RAISEING TILL FEBUARY

i fixed the trouble by switching babies so the smaller two are now in by the younger flying roller fosters, and huge three are in by adult foster roller parents now. the one now rolls out of the nest and all over the grate, but doesnt seem to be hurt or upset by it, so i just put it back in the nest, and the fosters keep feeding it. the eggs under the foster parlor tumblers werent developing so they either were irregularly incubaited, or it took to long to get fosters set up nesting proper. oh well.. my cat and collie enjoyed them all the same so no waste.

Last edited:
one thing i forgot i ised to do is put out by them a reptile type hot rock or heating pad called uth for under nest if got too cold after they both hatched. if done before can mess up natural developement of eggs. other than that a square small bucket with hole cut in like sold with cat litter in, or a small cardboard box works well enough in cold.

Last edited:
I just had a pair of pigeons lay an egg a few days ago. You probably think I am cruel hearted by not suppling heat. The reason I would not supply heat out to the barn is. The heat would cause my adult birds to become dependent on it. Then if and when the power should go out for what ever reason the adult birds natural defenses against cold would be weakened and I may loose the whole flock. I would rather sacrifice a young squab then to put my whole flock in jeapordy. I did however put a tray of styrofoam from a discarded meat package under the pigeons nesting material to give the hopefull squabs a fighting chance I will keep you posted Alicia G let you know how they make out. I personally think they will be just fine if the squabs have good parents. Just to remind you I live in Canada and I assure you if you spent on year in my province you would have a new respect for winter. US do not know what winter is really all about.The eggs should hatch December 28th in a perfect world. Oh yes and my loft is uninsulated. Corn is what I supply extra to the pigeons in winter months however during the summer I just feed layer pellets with peanuts for a treat!

Oops! Just noticed you are a Bluenoser. I think you have had a good taste of winter over the years! I live in New Brunswick. In the winter months I mix in a little rabbit pellets and maybe some wild bird seed just for variety. Through the spring & summer months it is just mainly layer pellets (I do not race my birds competitively like some fanciers who treat their birds like athletes)..

My pigeon egg hatched on Dec 26 or 27. The other one has pipped and should hatch Dec 27 or 28. Things look good so far. Will provide pictures tomorrow if I can get my camera to work in cold Canada.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom